VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea (Need a CPAP Machine?)

Rate this question

Ranmic

Question

I'm planning on filing a claim with the VA for Sleep Apnea.  I do not currently have a CPAP machine and have not had a sleep study done at this point by my local VA Hospital.  Should I have a CPAP machine and sleep study completed by my local VA Hospital before I file my claim?

4 answers to this question

An examiner can't diagnose sleep apnea. Much easier to have it diagnosed. It is not a catch-all term for sleep issues either, it's a specific condition. If you don't have it and you claim it specifically it is usually a denial.

Either claim sleep disturbances, or apnea, but you can't just self diagnose apnea or get a CPAP, even privately, unless you actually have it, from a provider. You could buy a used one but without knowing how to set it up it would do you little good, plus you still wouldnt have the diagnosis. 

File for benefits.  If awarded, your benefits effective date is the later of the facts found (date the doc said your sleep apnea began) or date of claim, with some exceptions.  By waiting to file, it often costs you money in retro.  

Of course, it will take a current diagnosis by a doctor, as well as a nexus and in service event OR a diagnosis as well as a link between one or more SC conditions, as stated by a doctor.  

Fyi, too, depending on your term of service and when it falls 3.317CFR covers general sleep disturbances as presumed as a result of Gulf War exposure, so, maybe you don't have apnea, per se', but you DO have sleep issues, circadian rhythm problems, other respiratory issues that might contribute to sleep issues (sinusitis, asthma, or rhinitis chronically- ALSO on the list as a presumed condition as of August)

This discusses (click here) the particulate matter announcement specifically, but scroll down further and it also discusses Gulf War Mucmi's (Medically Unexplained Chronic Multi symptom Illnesses)