VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone who has been with the caregivers the last few years, have you been getting kicked out??

prostheticsnow515

Question

I am caregiver for the my husband, the last few years, he is rated 80 percent with PT and Iu so he is getting disability at 100 percent, i have heard they are reassessing, now and kicking people off the caregiver program when it comes to  PTSD stuff,

I am hoping now, I take care of him and the kids and cant leave them to go back to work, i left work to take care of him , not sure what to do, because that is what is going to happen if they boot us from the program.

On 5/5/2022 at 4:00 PM, Usetacould said:

My wife is being kicked off. It’s apparently paused for now though. Who knows what will happen. We have been scrambling to readjust our expenses to cover lost income.

We just went through the last in home reassessment review today. After 2 phone reviews and, for the first time, an occupational therapy review. I was uncomfortable  with it in the sense that, compared to a year ago, with a focus on my walk limitations, mental health, macular degeneration and loss of motor skills with my hands, this time it was about solely the ability to dress myself. It just did not feel right. Is anyone else having this experience with the reassessments?

Very late reply.

Yes.

We have been in the program since 2011.

In April we had a clinical evaluation, three days later we got the letter stating we were being removed from the program. Mail moves fast with bad news.

Took 2 weeks to get an answer as to why, the clinical report. I went back and looked at my healthy vet medical records and found the assessment.  Went back and looked st PCAFC criteria, and we met the criteria for having at least 4 areas of daily living where I need help, and it was unsafe for me to live alone???

Sent in a request for review. Denied. Sent in the formal appeal. Denied. Even after we pointed out the page and paragraph where the assessment noted I met the criteria. Our only issue with the clinical report was the nurse wrote mobility or walking issues were short term. Even considering that we still qualified, but my mobility issues have existed since before I was medically retired, in fact that is why I was retired.

We contacted our Senators office and they made an inquiry, and within 24 hours they called. When I asked how they could deny and remove when the clinician clearly noted I could not live alone and needed help with 5 of ADL listed in the PCAFC criteria. Crickets

We got a letter stating we could request another review instead of the next step, the BVA, and followed with another letter stating the VA was reviewing the criteria, because they are kicking off 90% of legacy participants with their new criteria.

My point,  if you can roll over in a bed by yourself they will deny or remove, that is sick. I asked if they want to pay to put me in a nursing facility because that is what the clinicians report contained. Help bathing, grooming, walking, putting on orthopedic appliances, and dressing.

On 4/24/2022 at 9:58 AM, john999 said:

I think the caregiver program is a hoax. You  have to be bedridden to get the program.  I tried to get it for my wife and the program people were hostile and dismissive.  Me and the wife can be pretty ornery at times.  We both felt insulted.

i feel the same....my wife is the best caregiver in the world...my memory issues from my tbi, i rely on her for everything...im not an invalid or bedridden, but she makes sure i eat, take meds, sort meds, order meds, make appointments, do basic hygiene etc...i dont go anywhere without her! my PTSD and anxiety issue keep my home mostly....she does all shopping etc..

we applied and the lady was very............obnoxious to be nice about it- telling us this program is not for veterans that can feed themselves....so we gave up...she told us to appeal if we felt the decision was wrong but i already have enough of imposter syndrome- i dont need to be forced to feel like i dont deserve something else..(well really my wife-bc its really to help her!)

Edited by blahsaysme2u

• HadIt.com Elder

My wife handles my meds as well.  She helps with my insulin shots.  VA seems to be saying that unless you are a candidate for a nursing home you can't have a caregiver that gets paid.  They talked to my wife like dirt and that was the end of that.  She don't play dat!  It is not good because she deserves the money for doing the VA's job.  However, can you imagine how long we would last in some VA approved nursing home?  It is a death sentence.