Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

Treatment of Injured Soldiers at Walter Reed Army Medical Center

Watch Live here http://www.c-span.org/watch/cspan_wm.asp?Cat=TV&Code=CS

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yes that was a Congressman Braley he knows the DSM IV and knows about PTSD and he has friends that have been doing free prosthetic services pro bono at Walter Reed and LTG Kiley knew nothing about it, WTF, how can a person get into WR and make free legs and arms for soldiers and a General not know about it?

That hearing was a national disgrace and the soldiers and wife did this nations military very honorable today, I noticed none of the Congress critters even tried to challenge any of their statements like they did the Generals answers. Things "might" get fixed maybe

If anyone has time to meet for coffee at the Augsuat VA on the 7th I will be at the 15th Street VA at 1100 I have an appointment at 1300 so we can share VA tales for an hour or so, if you want to meet in the snack bar

I can tell you how. It's a lazy, disengaged commander who won't get off his/her sorry ass and tour his/her command to see what's going on. There's no prohibition against him/her making an Oh Dark Thirty tour when the rats and cockroaches are playing and the paint is falling down, either. It's a total leadership %^&*()_(*&^R%-up from the get-go!

Ralph

Funny that there full of it ... After 3 blast injuries 2004 to 2005 all I was told "we just don't know enough about (TBI) for two years " The situation is that they did not want to accept TBI because it costs them money. Walter Reed is not the issue we all got told it was closing. The problem is that there are no medical hold regulations so medical hold commanders & staff can do what they like in the name of the service. Until they change the UCMJ / AR's this will happen again and again. Commanders & staff feel that they will loose control of service members by issuance of regulation changes. Lord knows we can;t have that but what they fail to understand is that no profile can be created to take away full authority. Without legal administrative changes command and staff will dictate a service members recovery, MEB & discharge. The commander , PEB/MEB , Medical officers, WR JAG are all one click. All this for a lousy top 75% of basic pay. I spent a year in med hold out of 380 no one I saw got that not even close. I was even interviewed by TOP DOD about TBI/PTSD sure they did not know anything about PTSD/TBI :huh: ..... All wounded vets in the PTSD program at WR see DOD .. hummmmmmmmmm Thats why there changing the name PTSD / Combat Stress Syndrome .

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know much about TBI but I do know about strokes and I would have to assume the problems would be similar except one injury is caused from and outside source while the stroke causes the damage from within, I had a bleed out in the occipital/parietal lobes in 1992 within a year of discharge from GW1, I forget things, I get frustrated easy, it doesn't help that I also deal with PTSD on top of it, I can fully understand how SSG Shannon yesterday at the hearings was saying.

I would think they could assess TBI along the same lines they use for strokes, for ratings it would be a very similar system.

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

I can tell you how. It's a lazy, disengaged commander who won't get off his/her sorry ass and tour his/her command to see what's going on. There's no prohibition against him/her making an Oh Dark Thirty tour when the rats and cockroaches are playing and the paint is falling down, either. It's a total leadership %^&*()_(*&^R%-up from the get-go!

Ralph

Ralph,

Never did like those Officers & now I know why.

GARY

gdsnide

The Army told one soldier that had a brain injury that it was a pre-existing condition and that he was retarded anyway. All his injuries pre-existed his service according to the PEB. A guy with a brain injury from being shot through the head gets 40% disability from the Army even though he lost an eye and has PTSD. Only 4% of those who go before the Army PEB get a medical pension according to C-Span. These are active duty. How does a vet get something like this? It is not really possible via correction of military records or a review board after being discharged I think. The system is 100% stacked against vets. VA is like Old Mother Hubbard compared to Army medical boards.

Ok, I didn't get to watch the entire show, but I know, just like you all know, that it is plain and simple BS that they had no idea of the ongoings. Ya know the really smelly turn the fan on and use disinfectant type BS.

An Army soldier had a pre-existing brain injury?....geez...that seems a little far fetched for me. How come they didn't catch it before they accepted him into the military? I do remember taking many series of differnent tests...hmmm. Anyway isn't that what the military is supposed to do, wean(ween?) those that don't pass testing, or have a serious PEC?

As for the guy with TBI (i'm guessing at dx.) from being shot in the head and lost an eye and PTSD and only getting 40% disability is going to or has hopefully looked into getting much more from the military.

I think the VA is more like Old Mother Hubbard's grandmother. Boy do they need an update.

Have a great day!!!

tdak

"Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. "...Ronald Reagan