VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

S-VGLI gratuitous life insurance

bud

Question

Spouses husband passed away. Spouse applied for DIC and received it. Husband passed on the day he received his award letter and was rated 100 percent temp. But passed away because of his service connection. Spouse applied for S-VGLI and was denied because she could not prove he was incompetent at the time of death. Husband could not apply for the life insurance because he was awarded the 100 percent rating the day he passed. The policy would be free for 100 percent disabled vets in the amount of $10,000.00 I believe, if they apply for it within 1 year. Since he could not apply would the spouse have any recourse?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I strongly suggest that you ( better yet that she ) should contact the VA Office of Survivors:

https://www.wehonorveterans.org/benefits/survivor-benefits/

Their contact info is in this link.

About 2 years ago a new member here , a widow of a vet who was living in  Europe did not receive her DIC check and was desparate  because she had to pay her rent with it. It seemed that the State Department and Consulate was not helpful but I belieeve this office is the one that helped her get the check.

• Community Owner

I applied for S-DVI insurance because of my 100% UI in November.  When I call last week to check if they received it I think they said they were working on August or September application. So the above does not surprise me. I got the same answer on the CHAMPVA for my wife.

• HadIt.com Elder

VA is really slow.  What is their half-ass excuse? I have wondered if I kicked the bucket today how long would it take for my wife to get DIC.  I have SSA, OPM pension and VA, but if it takes months to get all these things started for my wife this would be a hardship.  How many people can go 3 or 4 months with no paycheck?  I do have an emergency fund, but it is still hard because sudden death can leave the spouse in bad shape.

But of course!  During this time of year, VA has lots of excuses for being slow.  Well, there are Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hannakuh, New Years parties to plan, attend, and get over the hangover, not to mention they need to lobby congress for year end raises, and budget increases.  

So, naturally, VA is slow this time of year, and all other times of the year.  The VA always says offers the same solution:  More money for the VA budget.  It never works, and they ask for still more the following year, complaining last years was not enough.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronco

Maybe this is why some of us vets who have been in the system for decades are just a little bit bitter about the VA and their "deny 'til they die" and "We just got the slows".