VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Proper way to add pages to TDIU form 21-8940

Rate this question

Rivet62

Question

What is the proper way to attach additional pages to the TDIU request form (VA Form 21-8940)?

My DAV VSO is saying use the VA Form 21-4187 (I may have written that form number wrong). I can't find that form number, but he called it a statement in support of the claim form. Which seems only to apply to lay statements.

My problem is that my medical treatment history and my employment history exceeds the space on the TDIU form and it exceeds the Remarks section.

I can make a note in the Remarks section that says see attached and give each attachment a title, one called Medical Treatment and another called Employment History but is this the best way to include information that the RO wants to see? Should I do that on blank pages of my own? Or is there a form to add pages to TDIU form 21-8940?

6 answers to this question

I think the VSO means VA form 21-4138:

"When to use this form
Use VA Form 21-4138 when you want to submit a VA “buddy statement” or other statement from someone with firsthand knowledge of information you believe will help support your request for VA benefits.

Downloadable PDF
 Download VA Form 21-4138 (PDF)"

(updated January 2022)

https://www.va.gov/find-forms/about-form-21-4138/

The link will take you to the downloadable form.

It can certainly be used for adding more info -I would state in "Remarks" that you are also enclosing (attaching) VA Form  21-4138.

James Cripps carried blank 21-4138 forms to Fort Gordon ,with him , to have buddy statements that helped him prove his exposure to AO at Fort Gordon.

(the first CONUS AO Vet.......there have been a few more since)

They are great for buddy statements but if the buddy doesn't have a 4138, they should state the same oath on a 21- 4138 *** at the bottom of thir statement and give VA details as to their ability to witness the situation accident ,etc and were in the same unit, same time and place, and they need to give the VA their contact info.

***"  I CERTIFY THAT the statements on this form are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief.
9. SIGNATURE OF VETERAN/BENEFICIARY (Required)"

Yes, you can use the VA form 21-4138, keep in mind that you only have to list your employment including self-employment for the last five years you worked. Also, and very important. If you add additional pages make sure you used a header with your name, SSN and date on each extra page. The VA loves to misplace documents. I recently had the RO close/deny a claim because they said that one of my documents did not upload and was unreadable/illegible but instead of asking me to reload my document she just denied my claim and forced me to refile. Also, you are going to need a VA Form 21-4192 for each job you list on the VA Form 21-8940. Your VSO should have told you that even if it has been a long time ago. Let the VA figure it out, don't leave anything out for them to deny your claim.

VA Form 21-4192

On 1/28/2022 at 2:27 PM, pacmanx1 said:

The VA loves to misplace documents.

Wel,l I have attempted to put everything in the Remarks section. The font size is no smaller than their info blocks on the form. I'm hoping it works ok. I wish I could just upload the TDIU form in eBenefits as a PDF, and that way I don't have to worry about illegible fax on the small font I used in the Remarks section.

Shouldn't I be able to upload it into eBenefits? Anyway, I see the VSO this Monday and I'll talk to him about uploading in eBenefits.

Edited by Rivet62

21 minutes ago, Rivet62 said:

Shouldn't I be able to upload it into eBenefits? Anyway, I see the VSO this Monday and I'll talk to him about uploading in eBenefits.

It really doesn't matter, if I were you, I would make a copy of everything and submit it by uploading it on va.gov and mailing it return receipt mail with signature. As stated, I recently uploaded a claim and when I called PEGGY the 1-800 number to check the status, I was told that my claim was going to be denied because one of my documents did not upload. WTH, what do you mean, all but one document was uploaded but I can/could upload the one that was missing or can't read. Nope, my claim was denied, and I had to refile my claim and it was still denied. The RO just ignored my supplement request and my C & P examiner's medical opinion. Had to file a BVA appeal.

12 minutes ago, pacmanx1 said:

WTH, what do you mean, all but one document was uploaded but I can/could upload the one that was missing or can't read. Nope, my claim was denied, and I had to refile my claim and it was still denied. The RO just ignored my supplement request and my C & P examiner's medical opinion. Had to file a BVA appeal.

I think I'll follow your advice. Wow.