VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I am an IT Pro with over 30 years experience

Rattler

I agree with Tbird.   My stress is much less with Apple.   

Examples:

1.  No worry about "the new" Windows, and whether or not Microsoft will support my "old" Windows.  They want you to buy a new one every 3 years.  

Notice:  Windows 98. (1998)

Windows ME.(2000)

Windows XP.  2003.  Of course, then its on To Windows, 7, 8, 9, 10, ........

Each time, Windows expects us to buy the new operating system, at a cost of hundreds$$$.  

Instead, you buy an Apple, and get upgraded software..free..for life.  

2.  Windows stops supporting "old" operating systems, so they become Virus magnets..and help Virii spread because many people cant afford hundreds for new software, so they keep using the old stuff, which hackers exploit.  

3.  Quality.  I have never had a "blue screen of death" on a Mac.  And I have owned macs since 2014, beginning a trasition away from Windows.  

4.  Better security.  I never have had a virus on my Macs ever.  

5.  Last longer.  

You often see Windows users switching to Mac, but I have never seen a Mac user switching back to Windows.  

6.  Nowadays, A quality computer (mac) often costs no more than windows.  

Well I have at least 4 laptops with Win 10 (2) , 8.1 or 8, and win 7.

My old 15 year old Acer Vista I upgraded to 10 just for fun and it works just fine  as do my other new and elderly laptops.  I have had none of the problem issues with any of those you alluded to so do not assume every windows user has those problems you described.  Happy windows user since 2003.  MY upgrades to each windows new system has been free of charge to me with no glitches, etc. 

It is not important to me that other folks think their apple is superior to windows  but they are so insistent due to s appeal. So there you have it.   Sorry to disappoint. 

• 10 months later...
  • Community Owner

Sorry I didn't check this till now. The system hadn't been notifying me of post I have fixed it. 

I have worked with MAC's for sometime. My only problem with them is I have to down think with them. What I mean is I have to think in user terms a lot simpler. 

Tbird is beating me into submission about getting a MAC.

broncovet 

I wash I was better at writing Linux. You can do so much with it now a days. 

I was trended as a MCSE in 1996. (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) That was in the NT 3.51, Wiin 95, and Win NT days. 

Dustoff1970 

If you need more laptops I have been cleaning out the garage. I have Totes X 4 with a bunch of of them in there. Ranging form Win 95's through Win 10's. I mostly keep them for parts. some of them still work. I have thought about putting both Linux and Crome book on some of them when I get some time.

I don't know if any of you know this but there is a way to put Win 11 on about any PC and make it ignore the hardware compatibility list. If any of you are interested I can post a link hear. 

Yes, I like Linux and Mac.  In 1998, I was certified as a Microsoft Certified Professional.   The MCP, for those who dont know is the MCSE "light" version.  MCP contains maybe 20 to 30 percent of what is in the MCSE.  So, Rattler obviously has much more Windows experience/knowledge.  

And, Im still learning Mac.  I have slowed way, way down as Im over 70 years old and, for example, "Phone technologies has passed me by".  

When I have trouble doing something on my Iphone, I find someone aged 7 to 15, who shows me immediately how to do something I struggled 2 days with.  

Im convinced that, before a child is allowed to go to high school, they have to have mastered phone technologies, which includes, of course "text" lingo..

While I helped many people with computers, many people dont even have a computer anymore..they use the phone and they are fantastic with it.  

I got a new Sienna Van last December.  I just figured out 2 days ago, "why" I was inconsistently able to get "maps" on my dash.  It turns out the software is just plain slow, so you plug it in, and it mostly works in about 2 minutes.  Of course, there are problems with phone cords, also, and, even when I use Iphone brand cords (not generic) they still work SOME of the time.  New cords are much more reliable, but cell phones and I dislike each other.  

For one thing, it seems no matter which cell phone I have, even an Iphone 13 costing nearly a grand, you guessed it...I cant hear the phone calls about 50-70 percent of the time.  Oh, I can hear some of it, but only if I put it on speaker, and if there is no background noise..and if I have a good cell phone signal..and my tinnitus is not ringing, and my hearing aids are not clogged, and the batteries are charged.  In short, I have to practically "win the lottery" to be able to hear a phone conversation.  Oh, I forgot.  The caller needs to have a deep voice, foreign accents are impossible, and so are children, including grandchildren.  I could understand my pastor...he had a deep bold voice.  A high pitched woman's or child's voice was mostly a no go.  Naturally, of course, the cell signal in my home is inconsistent and often says "call failed".  

This happens whether I have Verizon, (and give verizon 1/3 of my income for phone service), ATT (20 percent), or mint phones, which is only 15 bucks a month if you pay a year in advance.  Plus, of course, $900 per month in customary fees and taxes, one time fees, recurring fees, and fees for paying additional fees.  

Jim Gaffigan, the comedian was talking about Cable TV.  His friend called and he said he had cancelled Cable.  Jim replied, "Now why would you cancel Cable?  Now, you are gonna have to figure out what to do with the additional $1200 per month you save on cable tv.  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Those pre-execution environment discs worked great on older operating systems where the boot drive was not encrypted. Any idea if they work on the newer systems with TPM?

• Community Owner

The Win 11 USB's to install Win 11 on about anything takes a few file hacks. I loaded it on a Laptop that it should have never ran on. 

I will see if I can find the Links to the instructions on how to do it.   

broncovet  I get it I am only 5 years behind you.  Learning Mac is a life long thing.