Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Best Avenue for TBI Claim

Rate this question

Smirak

Question

I am currently rated at 90% total (70% PTSD, 10 asthma, 10 tinitus, 20 each shoulder).  I was recently diagnosed with a TBI by a non-VA provider and am going to file for that as a new claim.  However, here's the question.  Since I'm already rated PTSD, would that stand on its own, or would it be considered secondary to TBI?  If secondary, does that somehow affect the rating?  And lastly, what other secondary claims can I be looking at that can accompany a TBI rating?  I know migraines could be one, and I am diagnosed with migraines, but I have never filed a claim for that.  Just looking to get all my options here.

Thanks - Kevin

• HadIt.com Elder

You probably will get an assistant and they will find out what your objective is, and then schedule a call. He does charge a fee if he takes you case, but you have to see if he has a concept of what your problems are base on your symptoms are. If you do proceed , you will need to provide a lot of your medical records for sure.

I’m not ready for that yet. A good day I don’t walk into a wall, so I’m just trying to understand everything. I’m 100% P&T. My doctor just put in A&A paperwork. I haven’t filed a claim since 2005. I’m a bit lost with everything right now.

I will definitely reach out to him when I understand things a little better. My son has been helping me with forms and we don’t have a clue between us.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are 100% P&T, what are your ratings for your disabilities? Do you have one rated at 100% and then another one rated at least 60% rating? If you do, that is called Special Monthly Compensation S or SMC (S), about an additional $400 a month. Can you get other disabilities that you haven't gone after because you were told tah 100% is the max; it's a lie. See https://www.hillandponton.com/va-benefits-special-monthly-compensation/#:~:text=SMC(s) is available to,of a service-connected disability. Point is if you are rated 100%, especially for a single disability, you may have symptoms for additional disabilities as secondary and get more comp. The VA just passed a law that provides additional comp for aid at home see https://www.caregiver.va.gov/support/support_benefits.asp

• HadIt.com Elder
1 hour ago, Kitkat said:

I’m not ready for that yet. A good day I don’t walk into a wall, so I’m just trying to understand everything. I’m 100% P&T. My doctor just put in A&A paperwork. I haven’t filed a claim since 2005. I’m a bit lost with everything right now.

I will definitely reach out to him when I understand things a little better. My son has been helping me with forms and we don’t have a clue between us.

Welcome to Hadit, Kitkat.

I wonder if your valley fever diagnosis was mistaken.  Did you have a rash before your fever?  Tick bites can cause a fever that will have long term residuals if not treated specifically with antibiotics.  I am under treatment for the "Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever version which is mostly western U S.  It is different than Lyme disease and not as easily recognized from the first symptoms.

If you were in the area for the valley fever fungus you were in the area that the ticks that carry RMSF.  Few tick bites lead to RMSF because the tick has to be infected when it bites you.

I am very lost here. Must be the mmj. Lol. I don't do that. 

The first posting was from Smirak April 13. 

GB army just posted 1 hour ago Oct 1 2022,

Somehow KitKat came into the discussion about p&t. Lost on this post. 

• HadIt.com Elder

If we have a new member, and they jump into a previous discussion, I sometimes just try to answer their specific questions rather than get them frustrated and not continue. The correct way is of course to recommend that  the new post starts out new and then it is easier for everyone to follow. If there is a follow on later on, that is what we can do to keep it nice and clean. My point is I don't want new veterans coming on board and getting frustrated right off the bat. It's just the way I roll.