Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD Claim 12 years after discharge

Rate this question

Bucker

Question

Hello,

I served on active duty with the Army Infantry from 2006-2010 with a couple deployments to Iraq.  I was wounded in 2007 and received a Purple Heart.

When I left active duty in 2010 I filed a C&P claim and was awarded 20%.  Part of my rating was Anxiety.  That was 12 years ago and at the time I had no idea how the system worked and didn't have an understanding that my behavior has not been "normal".  The C&P Dr. basically said I was okay and sent me on my way.

Here we are in 2022 and I finally decided that I needed to actually do something about what I assumed was PTSD.  I went to a VA clinic this week and was immediately diagnosed with Chronic PTSD and was prescribed some medication.  The Dr. strongly encouraged me to apply for compensation related to this diagnosis and in fact seemed upset that I hadn't been rated higher upon discharge.

I'm trying to read up on the process but I'm not really clear on how all of this works.  I intend to follow through with a referral to a therapist in the near future and will give the medication a try when it arrives.  What are my next steps? I'm near the Columbus, GA area but it appears that the DAV office that assisted me way back in 2010 is no longer present.  MOPH seems like it no longer assists with claims.  Who can I go to for assistance?  Will the Anxiety diagnosis from 2010 impact anything?  It's been like 15 years since I was wounded, does that degrade my chances of getting a proper rating?

I was incredibly satisfied with the Dr. I saw this week and wish someone like him had talked to me during the C&P back in 2010.  I imagine getting treatment back then would have significantly improved the last decade+ of my life and the relationship with my kids.  Can't go back now though.

A few additional notes:
After leaving active duty in 2010 I continued to serve in an intelligence MOS in the Reserves and deployed again, this time to Afghanistan.  I ultimately received an honorable discharge in 2017 and am no longer affiliated with the military.  No idea if this changes the equation at all.

Any help with understanding the process would be incredibly appreciated.  My initial claim took 24 months exactly to be processed and the 20% rating never seemed appropriate, but my experience with the VA at that time was so bad I had never intended to interact with them again in any capacity.  I know, that was poor judgment, but it was absolutely crushing to my mental health even back then.

Thank you in advance, and I will keep reading a much as I can while here.

19 minutes ago, asdf said:

Or they could just be honest about their condition and how it affects them

Thanks for that 2 cents but that's not my point. The point is to read the rating criteria so no low balling. Not telling anyone to be dishonest. VA raters already do a good job at that. 

• HadIt.com Elder

You need to get all your medical records and see exactly what the Dr's are saying about their findings diagnoses  ect,,,ect,,,  they can tell you something to your face then you leve   check your MYHEALTHEVET NOTES, and it may not be what the dr said to you    print this record off myhealtevet notes for your evidence.

SORRY FOR THESE CAPS I CAN SEE BETTER.  EH!!!

LOOK AT THE PTSD MENTAL HEALTH RATING CHART  THE C&P EXAMINERS HAVE AND COMPARE YOR SYMTOMPS TO THE RATING CHART.

THIS WAY YOU KNOW WHAT YOU SHOULD BE RATED AT  AND YOU CAN GIVE THEM BACK THERE OWN REGULATIONS AS TO WHAT YOUR SYMPTOMS ARE  AS THEY ARE NOTED IN YOUR VA MEDICAL RECORDS TO THIS VA PTSD RATING CRITERA CHART.

I USED TO HAVE ONE AND i HAVE PUT IT UP ON HERE BEFORE BUT i CAN'T SEEM TO FIND IT  CHECK THE CFR'S  mental health rating criteria  you will find this chart there.

ALSO YOU CAN BE DEPRESSED  DEPRESSION HAS A 100% RATING ALSO  SERVERE DEPRESSION..YOU CAN HAVE OTHER RATED DISABILITYS   AFTER YOU REACH THE 100%  OR IF ALL YOUR OTHER DISABILITYS AMOUNT UP TO 100% BY COMBINED RATING.

IF YOU GET ANOTHER DISABILITY SEPERATE FROM YOUR FIRST MAJOR DISABLITY  IF YOUR AT 100% THEN IF YOU FILE ON ANOTHER DISABILITY SEPERATE FROM YOUR OTHER DISABILITY AHD ITS RATED 60% OR ABOVE  THIS INCLUDES YOUR COMBINED RATINGS    THEN YOU ARE ELIGABLE FOR SMC (SPECIAL MONTHLY COMPENSATION)

OR IF YOUR NOT 100% FILE ON ANY DISABLITY THAT WAS CAUSED FROM YOUR MILITARY SERVICE   MEDICAL RECORDS ARE VERY IMPORTANT   EVEN IF YOU HAVE A PURPLE HEART AWARD  YOU WILL STILL NEED THESE MEDICAL RECORDS THAT CASUSED YOUR NOW DISABILITY   PTSD SHOULD BE FAIRLY EAZY TO FILE ON DEPENDING ON YOUR SYMPTOMS AND HOW SEVERE...  PTSD IS RATING AT 0% S.C  OR 10% 30%50% 70% 100% AGAIN DEPENDING ON YOUR SYSTOMPS.

I AM A OLD VIETNAM COMBAT VET AND THEY DIAGNOSE ME WITH PTSD AT 70% DUE TO MY STYMTOMPS ..i WAS ALREADY TDIU P&T  THIS 70% MADE ME ELIGABLE FOR THE SMC S.

100%  OR IU AT 70% 80% 90%  BEING IU  YOUR AUTOMATIC 100% ALTHOUGH YOU ARE RATED UNDER THE 100%BUT BEING PAID AT THE 100%   IU IS EQUAL TO THE 100% RATINGS.  SO IF YOUR IU AND YOU FILE ON ANOTHER SEPERATE AND DISTANK DISABILITY AND THEY RATE IT 60% OR ABOVE   THEN YOU QUAILFY FOR THE SMC.

ITS GOOD TO FILE ON EVERTHING  MILITARY RELATED  OR THAT DISABILITY WAS CAUSE WHILE IN THE MILITARY   THEN DEFINTELY FILE ON THEM.  AGAIN YOU WILL FIND ALL THIS IN YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS OR YOUR C-FILE   

YOU NEED TO GET DIAGNOSE FOR DEPRESSION IF YOU FEEL YOU ARE DEPRESSED  PTSD CAN AND WILL CAUSE DEPRESION  SO YOU WOULD FILE A DEPRESSION CLAIM DUE TO YOUR PTSD AND ALSO THE MEDICATIONS YOU TAKE..ALWAYS GET YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS EVERYTIME YOU SEE A VA Dr and then you can see what their saying about your disabily or multi disabilitys.

Also ptsd meds can cause sleep apnea  you need a diagnose and dr to mention why you have sleep apnea  because it is caused by your mental health medications.  check your myhealthevet notes.   noramlly  S.A. IS A 50% RATING DEPENDING ON HOW SERVERE IT IS. 

IF YOU HAVE SLEEP APNEA TELL YOUR DR PCP  HE SHE WILL SEND YOU FOR A SLEEP STUDY  AND THEY LOOK AT THE STUDY TO SEE HOW BAD IT IS AND RATE FROM THERE  AFTER YOU FILE FOR IT .

YOU NEED TO FILE FOR ALL THESE DISABILITYS IF YOU HAVE THEM..  SOME DISABILITYS DON'T HAVE TO HAPPEN IN THE MILITARY  LIKE SLEEP APNEA  OR DEPRESSION. BECAUSE THEY ARE CAUSE BY A SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY  OR LINK TO THEM.

Edited by Buck52

I my first initial PTSD rating at 50% in 1985 was based upon a VA hospital discharge summary and VA C&P examiner of WWII vintage who was hostile to Nam vets.

I filed the claim myself pro se with no help from a DAV rep who was a Korean war vet and also indifferent to Nam vets.  He only gave me a form to fill out and did not request any records.  I supplied my own copies of 1970 Army Nam and Japan STRs and family doctor records plus my own statement.   A paper back book written by the great VVA organization helped me to file the 1985 and 1986 claims and know what to say in claims statements.

Since 85 I have successfully represented myself in over 9 major claims and appeals with VARO and BVA and even the CAVC court.   I am glad all those hypocrites yahoos and others like them with their anti Nam vet attitudes are dead now.  Spit on them.  I still enjoy my frequent fishing and camping trips.  Representing myself has been a fun, learning and challenging experience.  P&T 100% over 30 years plus SMC-S.

Only a loser I know from another  vet forum  in space likes to identify as the loser Joker.

image.thumb.jpeg.f0256aee02128e26cd0348162cfbb4d5.jpeg

Edited by Dustoff 11

Just an update. I had a really stressful day at the C&P exam yesterday, but the Doctor was extremely professional, compassionate, and gave me plenty of opportunity to express my issues and limitations. I was concerned going in after hearing of issues others have had with contract examiners, but mine was fantastic. Obviously I have no idea how the report is going to look or how it will factor into the claim, but I'm glad that is over.  I wonder if there is a way to submit positive feedback about an examiner? 

Still waiting for my referral to therapy to get scheduled though... 

On 5/26/2022 at 11:40 AM, Bucker said:

I wonder if there is a way to submit positive feedback about an examiner? 

Once you get a copy of the exam, and if you like what the examiner  said, you could write him a letter of thanks thru the va medical center, or the private business where the exam was scheduled and  conducted.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:40 AM, Bucker said:

Just an update. I had a really stressful day at the C&P exam yesterday, but the Doctor was extremely professional, compassionate, and gave me plenty of opportunity to express my issues and limitations. I was concerned going in after hearing of issues others have had with contract examiners, but mine was fantastic. Obviously I have no idea how the report is going to look or how it will factor into the claim, but I'm glad that is over.  I wonder if there is a way to submit positive feedback about an examiner? 

Still waiting for my referral to therapy to get scheduled though... 

I had that same experience. The examiner allowed me to open up and express my feelings. It felt good to open up like I did. Shortly afterwards, I got the letter in the mail. By opening up awarded me 50%. I was shocked. I think that the same is going to happen to you.