VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange presumptive prostate cancer claim files in April 2021 still waiting wondering if there is a problem

Rate this question

Signcavah

Question

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in early April 2021 by the VA. I am verified to being herbicide exposed in Vietnam by the VA. No one (VSO, Peggy ) seems to have a clue why this is moving so slowly. 

I just had another biopsy which again verified the cancer. I have a preop next week to plan  surgery to ease my urinary complications. My understanding was that this should have been a fairly quick process to complete this claim. e-benefits has been showing out for decision for several months. The woman at the Peggy number said she thought this was way to long for a decision and was going to write a letter to someone looking for an answer. I`m stumped  as to finding a way to get some sort of information. My VSO told me he could help then made a call to Peggy and put it on speaker for me. I was speechless. Thanked him and left ! 

Since everyone asks, my disabilities are hearing@ 50%,tinitis 10%.metaralgia 10%,PTSD 70% =90%.  

I have filed ED secondary to PTSD. I was denied. Maybe like others said, the medication can cause it. 

I tried that as well an the RO pretty much said that it was due to my age. I am 52. Imagine that. 

On 7/6/2022 at 6:18 AM, Phury & Rhage said:

Did VA concede your exposure to herbicides when you filed the diabetes claim in 2017?  The only valid reason for denying diabetes is that they didn't have/couldn't find the evidence to concede your exposure in Vietnam - or if examiner said you didn't actually have diabetes when you went for the exam.  Are you a Blue Water Navy Veteran?

By the way, when you get something from VA that says you "may be entitled" and recommends you file a claim - that is called a solicitation.  Except for individual unemployability (IU-different rules), VA is never supposed to "solicit to deny".  The decisionmaker that reviewed your file believes there is enough evidence to grant service connection for the diabetes and peripheral neuropathy.  They aren't allowed to solicit a claim (except IU) if there isn't enough evidence to grant.  Depending on your answers about my questions above, I can give you my take/recommendation...

Phury

I haven`t heard anything from my VSO  since the decision. I am guessng I should file for the neuropaty  using a 526 EZ. I`m trying to find my copy of the original claim. I don`t have a clue how to do this. A VSO would be a big help ! I don`t want to screw it up.

I did submit a 526 EZ for the neuropathy. Since they awarded the prostate cancer 100% there is no question that they accepted  my AO exposure. I hope that thePN will be awarded at some point. I`m not sure that would get me to 100% without the cancer. Trying to get to 100 pt so maybe my wife can get DIC if I pass away.

2 hours ago, Signcavah said:

I did submit a 526 EZ for the neuropathy. 

Hi Sign,

So I might not have been clear enough before.  With conceded AO exposure, you are entitled to presumptive service-connection (SC) for your diabetes.  When you get the diabetes exam, they should also link the peripheral neuropathy (PN) and ED to diabetes - they are acknowledged complications.  You can get SC for ED through other means, but the examiner will almost always give a positive opinion when it's linked to diabetes.  It's a known side-effect.  The reason you were denied before is probably because Blue Water Navy Vets weren't considered "Vietnam" Veterans for the purpose of AO exposure at that time.  The only way they could SC those conditions at the time of your denial was if they manifested within a year of discharge.  As long as you have a diagnosis of diabetes; PN and ED, you should get SC'd for them and the effective date will probably be earlier as well.  I'll put in a reference later that covers it....

Good luck,

Phury

Well, I doubt if this will go anywhere. Ihave worked really ard to lose weight and get myA1C down. Right now I am in the pre-diabetic range.  I have PN in both feet,legs and arms. I have so many leg and foot, ankle issues that the VA is treating but not rating as service connected.

I broke both feet and severly sprained my ankle while in service. I spent several monthe in medical hold, mainly for the ankle. The VA has all the records.  I have severe and painful osteo arthritis in both feet ,rt ankle, & both knees . The VA has put me in AFO`s on both legs. They help but I cannot drive with them on. I get injections for my knee pain every 6 months I walk with a cane, before the AFO`s I fell a lot. Recently I had not put them on for the day yet and I fell downstairs and broke my arm and sprained my wrist.. The only thing they have rated me for is 10 % for  metataslgia  bilatrally for the feet . I have had 3 more C&P exams from the VA and they have all said this stuff is service connected since 2013. My last foot claim decision denied that I even broke my right foot. 

I have an appeal  on this from 2019. This system sucks. We should be able to be present when these decisions are made. I wannt someone to look at the C&P exams and tell me why this is not service connected as the examiner has stated

• HadIt.com Elder

I got DMII and 40% PN for each leg and 30% and 40% for both arms.  Mine is AO related and has been getting worse for 20 years.  When you get your DMII exam you must tell them about your PN symptoms.  I think what they really look for is numbness because that often leads to skin lesions and can lead to infection and amputation.  Are you not already 100%?  You may be able to get housebound with 100% plus 60%. I can really feel for you and your foot problems.  You need to get exams for your eyes as well as your feet.  DMII has a host of secondary conditions including heart disease, kidney disease and blindness.  I take two shots of insulin a day.  Pain in the ass but your sugar can spin out of sight quickly and you may not feel a thing until something bad happens.  I ended up in intensive care due to my glucose going way up two years ago.  I was totally unaware.