Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lumber Secondary Condition to thorasic.

Rate this question

USMCVMO

Question

Hello fellow Vets!   I am currently at 70% rating total.  Last updated in 2020. 

T10-T12 – Disc herniation – 20%

Lower left radiculopathy – 20%

Right lower extremity – 20%

Depressive disorder (secondary to back pain) – 30%

I have some questions.  I continue to get worse back pain and its becoming increasing more difficult to sit for any period of time to do my day job. I also have developed lumbar disc problems now.   I had once read that spinal issues can be connected. 

1.  Would it be worthwhile to submit a claim for the lumbar as secondary?   Any advice on how to be successful?
  2.  Any advice on if my current rated conditions could be increased to 100.  What would the VA look for to make such a increase for those conditions. 
Edited by USMCVMO
typo

1 hour ago, USMCVMO said:

Does the VA value a chiropractors bedrest note? 

That is a good question. The VA  fairly recently started hiring chiropractors  so  they might honor a note from a chiropractor. But technically while we call them doctor, they are not MD's.  If it were me I would take a shot and see, after all you have nothing to lose.  Medical doctors are reluctant to give bed rest for back problems,  chiropractors may be too. In fact, I believe the reason the VA put into the rating system prescribed bed rest was to limit the ratings for DDD.

In the last two years, I was prescribed bed rest for an eye problem, never saw it coming , and it did not help my ratings because with the eyes, a good ratings  depend on  haveing 7 or more trips to the eye doctor within a certain period of time. ( a year?)

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@USMCVMOI can also sympathize with your situation as I am SC for my spine w/radiculopathy in both arms and legs, plus I am also a full-time telecommuter. For relief, the chiropractor is a plus as long as they are competent. I had one who would do the exact same thing every time regardless of what was wrong, which really did not help. With respect to chiropractic and/or acupuncture, I personally prefer one with 10+ years of experience, not someone who is new.

I would assume that the VA would consider a chiropractor's bedrest note to be legitimate, but to date I have never tried. Another plus is acupuncture and dry needling which can help provide some additional relief. The VA gave me a TENS unit and also a separate Alpha stim unit. The VA pain clinic also refers me out for epidural pain injections in my spine, but they are hit and miss. The combo of treatment can be is very helpful, but what works for one person might not work for another.

3 hours ago, Vync said:

The VA gave me a TENS unit

out for epidural pain injections in my spine, 

Yes They gave me a tens unit too, but they are hit and miss, it helped for a while but then was rather useless, I was refered for spinal injections about 4 or 5 years ago at the VA. I went to the appointment, but in the end I refused the treatment because the doctor indicated that in my case he doubted injections would work. Honestly, I already receive steriod injections in my knees, and I am on oral steriods, I don't really want any more steriods, they just make me balloon up to the point that dieting seems to be a waste of time.   

@Richard1954Yeah it definitely is hit or miss, but the array of treatments does have the potential to provide some degree of temporary relief. Physical therapy also provided elastic bands for no impact conditioning. Stretching, other options...

Sounds like we all are experiencing the same symptoms. We all have done the same treatments. It's a hit or miss. I am in so much pain that I can't sleep in my bed. The VA will not prescribe pain killers. 

On a good note, atleast you all are sc'd for your condition. 21 years of military with neck and back injuries, I still get the denial stating that my condition is not related to the military.

55 minutes ago, Whodat said:

Sounds like we all are experiencing the same symptoms. We all have done the same treatments. It's a hit or miss. I am in so much pain that I can't sleep in my bed. The VA will not prescribe pain killers. 

On a good note, atleast you all are sc'd for your condition. 21 years of military with neck and back injuries, I still get the denial stating that my condition is not related to the military.

It is unfortunate that serving 20+ years in the military results in a denial for musculoskeletal issues.