Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU question

Rate this question

capitan

Question

I have a TDIU claim active. 11 months ago I received a VA letter saying part of the claim is deferred. Then another letter saying they are working on my claim. I don't think they got the memo Leave No Man Behind. Does anybody know how long I will have to wait? Or if there is anyway to check and see what gives?  I am 77 with some medical issues. USMC combat Vietnam vet.

Edited by capitan

I would say for the most part no real problems and I say that because, when I was issued my machine, it was explained to a group of us to get familiar with our machines as to try to wear it when we were not sleeping to get used to it. When we watched a movie or read to just get comfortable with it and I did but I still wake up from time to time realizing that I took it off while sleeping and it landed on the floor.

2 hours ago, capitan said:

How long will you have to wear it? Any noticeable improvement? If you improve and don't need it anymore will they stop payment?

Since Sleep Apnea is a silent killer, most if not every person that is ever issued one would most likely need to wear it for the rest of their lives. The person stops breathing while they are sleep and if they do not start breathing again then they could die. Ever wake up gasping/choking for air, it takes my brain right back to basic training and that stupid gas chamber. It can really mess with your mind. Also, since I am rated 100% P & T, I will keep all my ratings for the rest of my life.

I don't know if you are overweight, but I read that is a big cause and it can improve with losing weight. And of course lifestyle change if necessary, like quit drinking, smoking, and over eating. I eat a cancer friendly diet and I'm underweight. I finally got my weight down to what it should be, partly due to stopping sugar, junk food, eating only 2 meals a day, not 3. And reducing portions. Many people eat twice as much as they need to. If you have a big belly, that's a tell.