Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU question

Rate this question

capitan

Question

I have a TDIU claim active. 11 months ago I received a VA letter saying part of the claim is deferred. Then another letter saying they are working on my claim. I don't think they got the memo Leave No Man Behind. Does anybody know how long I will have to wait? Or if there is anyway to check and see what gives?  I am 77 with some medical issues. USMC combat Vietnam vet.

Edited by capitan

My VSO said:

I called our VSO line and spoke with a surprisingly unhelpful person. I explained the situation and the rep said, ”the VA has everything they need, if it is later determined that something is required, the VA will reach out to the veteran”. I re-emphasized that is has been over 400 days and there has been no action taken. I also let him know that the suspense date for completion was dated 10-2-2021. The rep said “ I have placed a note in the members file” and “That is all I can do”

I replied,  " Have you called that VSO line often? Someone suggested I call the White House no. Is that the same? Maybe if you call again you will get a helpful person this time.

Then he sent:

Yesterday was just the latest of several calls I have made to get the claim moving. I will periodically call to try to get the claim rolling. Hopefully, I will get that one gem that will actually make something happen.

Should you call the White House VA Line? Nothing else has done any good, so I would agree it is worth a try. Here is the Number: White House VA Hotline:  1-855-948-2311 (He didn't say if his VSO line is the same as the White House line....should I call or have him call? He has my case and could articulate the facts better. I think he would.

Edited by capitan
condensation

I fully understand that it is hard dealing with the VA and VSOs, the only thing I can add from here is that no one is more concern about a veteran’s claim than the veteran. It is even more difficult to say what someone else would or would not do. If you would do it, then you know it is done but if you ask someone else to do it, they can tell you it is done, and it may not be done.  

I called the White House no. My details were sent to the Columbia SC RO. He was encouraging and said I should hear something within 30 days. My VSO happened to be in Columbia for a meeting and gave my details to the Congressional Liaison for the VA Regional Office. Now I have the White House and Congress on the case.

Just received this from my VSO...I heard back from the Congressional Liaison. She looked into your claim and found out that your claim is being handled under the National Defense Authorization Act (Nehmer law that added hypothyroidism to the list of Agent Orange conditions). Based on the law and how these claims have to be processed, these claims are taking a much longer time to be completed.