Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Appeals to BVA Docket Date

Rate this question

CINÁED

Question

I have appeals at the BVA in the AMA and I see on the BVA web site Appeals Metrics that the Current Legacy Docket Date is up to Sept 2019. Does this mean they are reviewing appeals in the legacy lane up to this date and if so how do we know what the date is they are reviewing appeals in the AMA.

5 hours ago, McRay said:

It's strange how the appeals docket date works. I appealed my granted claim in Nov of 2018 and got on the docket in Sept of 2019 When I checked  this am there are still 50,420 appeals ahead of me. On the va.gov tracker it says they are working on claims from June of 2018. If you check BVA Metrics it says current legacy docket date is Sept of 2019.

CCK is suing the VA, partially because of backlog, needless complexity in process and prioritizing legacy claims.

I am not trying to be negative or break your morale down but I will kinda give you my timeline which could give you a round about. 

Filed VA 9 July 2018, Docketed May 2019. Hearing 27 April 2022. 

Don't rely on the VA.Gov site. Just like Appeals are behind, so is the tracking system. 

2 hours ago, Whodat said:

I am not trying to be negative or break your morale down but I will kinda give you my timeline which could give you a round about. 

Filed VA 9 July 2018, Docketed May 2019. Hearing 27 April 2022. 

Don't rely on the VA.Gov site. Just like Appeals are behind, so is the tracking system.

I fully understand your pain and frustration. The BVA recently made a decision on my remand dated in May 2018 and the only reason they did that is because I filed a motion to advance due to administrative error which they did grant and finally finished back in May 2022. The point to my post is that I honestly do not think that anyone can tell you the current real timeline of the board and when any appeal would be completed. The VA gets away with lying to congress all the time.

Years ago, I filed a congressional complaint and a financial hardship with my VA claim/appeal and the VA expedited my claim and denied the issue that was pending. When the BVA just recently granted my claim awarding me an EED of TDIU was for the exact same disability that they denied back then and told the congressmen that my records would not support a service-connected disability rating. 

On 7/21/2022 at 1:55 PM, McRay said:

It's strange how the appeals docket date works. I appealed my granted claim in Nov of 2018 and got on the docket in Sept of 2019 When I checked  this am there are still 50,420 appeals ahead of me. On the va.gov tracker it says they are working on claims from June of 2018. If you check BVA Metrics it says current legacy docket date is Sept of 2019.

CCK is suing the VA, partially because of backlog, needless complexity in process and prioritizing legacy claims.

I have a question, how do i get access to this tracker for appeals , I dont see anything on VA.GOV or ebenefits. Thanks

The BVA is overwhelmed and not effectively managed in my opinion.  1200 employees - 108 judges, 850 lawyers and 250 admin personnel.  With respect to productivity each judge has 7 lawyers supporting her workload and the board generated 99,000 decisions.  240 workdays in a year = 412 decisions a day or 3.8 decisions per judge / team per day (each team = 8 lawyers including the judge).  Work hours involved with each decision = 15 and that assumes no effort from admin staff.  Hmmmmm.

I think the BVA could increase efficiency by making one very simple change.  Have a team immediately screen every case with the phrase or words CUE (clear and unmistakable errors).  Then do a quick search to see if the CUE claim was adjudicated by a region office or DROC.  If not, IMMEDIATELY remand the appeal back to a regional office because they have no option other than remand.  Instead, the BVA will let CUE cases flow thru the normal docket process only to remand the case 12-18 months later.  Huge disservice to the vet; huge contributor to ongoing backlog.

Or maybe these folks want it this way.  Guarantees job security....

If you want some insight into some of the shenanigans at the BVA in the past, Google BVA Judge Kordich testimony to Congress in 2014.  Have some pepto bismol ready when you watch it. 

Tragic on too many levels.