Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First exam yesterday, still upset over their questions

Rate this question

Deagle

Question

So yesterday I had my first exam with VES for a PTSD claim. Within 2 minutes of the call she wants the most intimate details of things I've seen/done. I told her flat out she was giving me anxiety and panic attack because Id rather not relive everything with someone i have no rapport with. I wasnt rude and tried to remain polite but I explained some situations of CIVCAS where 3 kids got smoked and I didnt want to give all the details. She wanted to know every trauma I've seen, I tried to explain I'm in drones and have been doing it since 2010 I cant possibly go into every detail, for perspective I showed her my performace report last year confirming over 200 EKIA. I simply dont want to relive every mistake, every bad experiance because theyre too lazy to read my files and statements before hand. 

The line of questioning and forcefulness to ask questions with no rapport goes against all modern psychological standards. 

How do I file a complaint or can I even do that? Im still reeling today about it today and barely slept last night because that was so unprofessional and intrusive. 

On 9/11/2022 at 9:38 AM, Mr cue said:

You can put on a complaint about the examiner and exam with the Whitehouse hotline.

An I would upload a statement about it so that it becomes apart of your record.

An I would write a complaint to your congressman about the private contractor place that did the exam.

I would do a complaint to the bbb so that they will investigate the complaint against the company.

Well then just wait. Because you will 9 times out of 10  never get a copy of the exam  before they make a decision.

Using the exam.

Good luck 

Thank you, I'm not sure what Im going to do, at this point I think I'll likely do nothing. I submitted all the appropriate documentation when I filed to include my treatment files, the reports from my career, everything.  If it comes to it I'll go through it again but I think my records speek for themselves. 

On 9/12/2022 at 12:36 PM, Rattler767 said:

It took 43 years for them to rate me for PTSD. The first exam the PhD didn't read the file and missed diagnosed me.  The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th exam I got lucky and had  a PhD that know about PTSD / MST. You have two choices. 1. Tell your story like you did hear and answer the questions. 2. Or don't tell your story  screw around 43 years and wait to get YOUR BENIFITS. Its that simple. Choose your battles wisely.  

I've already been diagnosed, that's my point. I've been seeing mental health professionals for years while active duty. It shouldn't be a battle, it's as well documented as the surgeries I've had while active duty.  It shouldn't be a battle at this point, that's why I'm so upset about it. 

On 9/18/2022 at 7:30 PM, Deagle said:

I am BDD, I think the situation just really upset me because it was super unprofessional, especially asking for details, I have no problem talking about a vague example, e.g. kids being blown up. But to ask for more specific seemed very much out of bounds. Just my thoughts. 

No, you're not on a wrong track here- I dont have PTSD MH so my exam at the time and yours were probably quite different in some ways. I/we (VSRs/Raters) see the 'details' and the devil, the examiner doesn't need to probe to the hour and minute- they just need to basically verify that what you are saying to them aligns with what is in your records that we send them, and that you are a reliable narrator. They shouldn't have gotten that into it, in my layman's opinion, and it wasn't necessary.

Once you started to show discomfort (and It happens in lots of these that I read) the examiner usually adds notes in there about agitation, discomfort, anger, evasiveness, etc and moves on. Since we can see the details, evasiveness on your part isn't an indication of embellishment or outright lying- we can go right in there and read the whole thing, and we send the examiners enough that they shouldn't need it, either, unless the records are REALLY thin.

In the case of these types of exams some anger/evasiveness/discomfort actually can help corroborate better than asking about the details themselves because it shows that it obviously affects you. That still isn't a normal therapeutic technique in psych evals, to push for it, though. I asked two friends about it that are both psychologists that work with abused kids whose symptoms often parallel with PTSD patients. They thought it was weird to ask to that level, also.

Edited by brokensoldier244th

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

13 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

No, you're not on a wrong track here- I dont have PTSD MH so my exam at the time and yours were probably quite different in some ways. I/we (VSRs/Raters) see the 'details' and the devil, the examiner doesn't need to probe to the hour and minute- they just need to basically verify that what you are saying to them aligns with what is in your records that we send them, and that you are a reliable narrator. They shouldn't have gotten that into it, in my layman's opinion, and it wasn't necessary.

Once you started to show discomfort (and It happens in lots of these that I read) the examiner usually adds notes in there about agitation, discomfort, anger, evasiveness, etc and moves on. Since we can see the details, evasiveness on your part isn't an indication of embellishment or outright lying- we can go right in there and read the whole thing, and we send the examiners enough that they shouldn't need it, either, unless the records are REALLY thin.

In the case of these types of exams some anger/evasiveness/discomfort actually can help corroborate better than asking about the details themselves because it shows that it obviously affects you. That still isn't a normal therapeutic technique in psych evals, to push for it, though. I asked two friends about it that are both psychologists that work with abused kids whose symptoms often parallel with PTSD patients. They thought it was weird to ask to that level, also.

Thank you, I feel better knowing that I'm not the crazy one thinking the line of questions was over the line. I really appreciate your time to type that all out. 

I dont recommend "filing a complaint" about the examiner, based on what you posted.  

No, the examiner is not your girlfriend or your mother.  You dont have time to really get to know her.  I suggest you accept that reality, answer the questions as best as you can.  

Its possible or even likley you had multiple stressors..seeing children die, loading bodies, fear, etc. 

Yea, the VA is gonna want all the details.  Unfortunately, too many people have conned the VA and they are gonna want you to tell consistent facts.  We could have helped you prepare, but I did not know you asked.  

If you have to go back, then look through your records and build a timeline..you know, when you entered service, when you trained, when you went to war, when you got out.  

And try to remember if it was summer (hot), cold, sunny, raining etc.  Dont lie, but do think your answers through so they are consistent.  Its ok, that you were stressed from 2005 through 2006..then list those stressors.  

As you pointed out, you dont want to relive that nightmare, so admit you are not sure about all the dates..you have definately tried to forget them..  

• Founder

@DeagleFirst, I agree the c and p exam can be very triggering. It's a not purposely designed to be triggering but it is a side effect of the examination.

C and P examiners have to follow the DBQ, frustrating but unavoidable. It was like this before DBQ's also, I had to repeat my trauma over and over and over and over...Which is why if you are filing for a mental health disability I recommend that you establish yourself with a therapist because it is a very triggering and stressful experience. 

If you don't already have a therapist, please think about getting one. Whether it's private, at the Vet Center or through the VA. Filing a claim is process not a thing and it takes a time and you will need support.

I also recommend reading this post https://www.hadit.com/things-to-do-at-your-va-compensation-and-pension-exam/

I wish you well and you should know you are not alone.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.