Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Will I lose my P&T TDIU benefits and amount when I turn 67?

Rate this question

Bigkevo44

Question

I am currently rated at 70% P&T TDIU based solely on my service connection for mental illness. Will the VA reduce my income and take my benefits away other than whatever 70% pays when I turn 67 years old?

5 answers to this question

Not sure why you would ask this question, but the VA does not reduce veterans' ratings just because of age.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• Founder

Actually, this was brought up in a GAO report in 2015gao-06-2015-unemployability.pdf

There was an outcry from veterans and their advocates and it was dropped. I keep my eye out for any news that they might try this again, but so far I haven't seen anything.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

Relax.  The protections have been posted here many times.  Since you are P and T, this gives you protections.  In a nutshell they cant reduce P AND T VETS "Unless you have actually improved under ordinary conditions of life".   Feel free to look up VA's wording, but I will offer my interpretations.  

Further, this has to be sustained improvement, not an episodic improvement.  (Many of us have good days and bad days.). 

For TDIU, this would generally mean you are not only gainfully employed, but you would have had to earn more than the poverty level during the previous 12 months.  

In other words, it would be very hard for VA to reduce you if you are not currently employed consistently for a year.  Cutting your neighbors grass wont get you reduced unless he pays you more than about $15,000 per year.  

Under current regulations, VA can not reduce you based solely on age.  

Even if congress were to change regulations you still have some protections because most new legislation is grandfathered in and wont affect your benefits if already TDIU.  

P and T is a "permanent" designation and offers you legal protections, some of which I have outlined above.  

P and T also gives you other benefits, such as the free life insurance, property tax abatement or reductions (in some states).  Some states give fishing or hunting licesnes to P and T Vets and many more benefits.