Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

As for a HLR? or no?

Rate this question

Ranmic

Question

Last Nov I filled two claims, one for an increase in my current SC knees and then I filed a second one for my hips as a secondary to my knees.  The VA combined my two claims and then I got C&P exams for my knees and my hips.  I got an increase for my knees but they said my hips were not service connected.  I'm unsure if I file a higher level review for my hips if they will review my knees also.  All I want is for them to re-evaluate my hips, and not my knees as they are maxed out for instability and knee strain and I don't want that touched.  Below is what I filed for.  Again, I did get my knees increased and now they are maxed out.  I just want to challenge my hips.  Any advice?

• knee condition bilateral (Increase)
  • hip condition bilateral (Secondary)

Thank you all for your feedback.  I guess I thought that if I had a SC disability (knees) that I could file for a secondary condition (in this case my hips) due to the constant shifting back and forth on my legs eventually causing issues with my hips.  I didn't know that my secondary had to have some type of service connection also.  Maybe I misunderstood what secondary meant.  Again, thanks for the information.

I didn’t say that it did, just that It doesnt hurt If you can find evidence of it also in your STRs somewhere then it doesn’t have to be secondary to- you can file both ways, also, as direct and secondary. They don’t have to be separate claims. They would get consolidated onto one claim anyway, if filed within a year of each other. It’s not asinine (as another poster put it) to search your STRs for it.

For whatever reason your decision letter states that your hips aren’t secondary to your knees. Somwhere in the reasons and basis it says why. Secondary isn’t a slam dunk, there still has to be a w link and a diagnosis of hip isssues. You need to address the opinion that your hip engagement isn’t affected by your knee issues. 

It is going to take a nexus letter either way you chose to go. The VA is not going to take your word for it, that the hips are secondary to your knees because you are not a medical professional. Any time you make a claim, unless it is for a presumptive condition, you will need a nexus letter. Your inference sounds reasonable, but you can't expect to reason with the VA, and neither are they companionate when it comes to granting claims.

53 minutes ago, jamescripps2 said:

It is going to take a nexus letter either way you chose to go. The VA is not going to take your word for it, that the hips are secondary to your knees because you are not a medical professional. Any time you make a claim, unless it is for a presumptive condition, you will need a nexus letter. Your inference sounds reasonable, but you can't expect to reason with the VA, and neither are they companionate when it comes to granting claims.

Any other entity world require as much as well. A lay diagnosis isn’t a  medical diagnosis.

Yes, the Caluza elements, required for service connection are a bit abbreviated for secondary conditions.  

1.  You still need a current diagnosis of a service connected condition.  The percentage does not matter.  

2.  You need a nexus doctor statment, something close to "The Veterans service connected knee problem is at least as likely as not related to his hip condition."