Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Common Law Marriage

Rate this question

allansc2005

Question

Wasn't sure what Forum category this question belongs, but I'll start here.

Got a veteran who's been in a common law marriage since 2006. Living together, joint bank accounts, life insurance policies naming the other as  the payee...which are requirements to establish common law.

The state the veteran lives in basically "outlawed" common law marriages in 2019, however there is a "grandfather clause"  Stone -V- Thompson, which allows the common law that occurred before 2019.

So, knowing that the VA, Military, Feds.., all recognize common law marriages as long as the state of residence allows it, here is my question:

How/where does the veteran and his common law wife need to start in order to get her a dependent ID card?(He's 100% P&T), and they were together long before he was awarded 100%

Where do they need to go, and what paperwork do they need prior to going to the on base ID card office?

Allan 2-2-0 HOOAH!

A visit to the Justice Of The Peace is exactly what I would recommend to my veteran friend who was in the same situation.

UPDATE:

Turns out the process is a lot easier and simpler than it's made out to be.

DEERS basically goes along with what the VA considers as requirements to be considered a "dependent"

Three VA forms, 21P-4138, 21-4171 and VA form 4170 are filled out and submitted to the VA via normal channels-Ebenefits page, mail-in..,etc.

The VA form 21P-4138 filled out by two or more "observers" establishes common law, which is recognized by the VA.

Once the VA accepts the above documents and determines that common law is "legal" in the state of residence, the VA then adds the dependent(husband, wife..) to the veteran's records as a "spouse", then sends the veteran a change in marital status document recognizing the spouse as a dependent.

The veteran then makes an appointment with the ID card section on base/post.., brings the dependent and other required information to the appointment, and gets the ID card.

Tedious? Yes

As far as the comments concerning "get married, justice of the peace..", that's not my decision to make, nor would I even bring up that notion; it's none of my business what a couple decides as far as matrimony.

I was only asked about common law marriage as seen by the VA, DEERS..

Hope this helps others in the same situation.

Thanks for all the input.

Allan 2-2-0 HOOAH!

As the police sometimes say, "you can do this the easy way or the hard way".  

It sounds like that was the hard way.   

My brother never married his "wife", even after 3 children.  It did not matter he had to get a divorce anyway from his common law wife.   

In many things we try to "get the benefits" without the responsibilities that come with it.  It rarely works all that well.  

It sort of reminds me of someone who does not want to work but they want money.  

It rarely works out well for them, either.  

Sometimes, its a lot easier to "just pay the price", and then enjoy the benefits.  

broncovet,

I rarely get personally involved when veterans ask me VA-related questions, nor should I.

The laws that are in place are there for a reason, and the same holds true for common laws.

My happiness comes when the help and information I provide veterans helps them with their cause(s).

Personally, I would never marry again, and don't expect anyone to feel the same.

For hadit.com purposes, I served the veteran well. He has all the documents he needs, and knows what to do with them.

As a footnote, I got a few ugly emails over this subject, but that's life when you post in Forums.

"Don't judge me unless you've walked a mile in my moccasins"   -Old Indian proverb.

Allan 2-2-0 HOOAH!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Our picks

• Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

• Good question.   

Maybe I can clear it up.  

The spouse is eligible for DIC if you die of a SC condition OR any condition if you are P and T for 10 years or more.  (my paraphrase).  

More here:

Source:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

NOTE:   TO PROVE CAUSE OF DEATH WILL LIKELY REQUIRE AN AUTOPSY.  This means if you die of a SC condtion, your spouse would need to do an autopsy to prove cause of death to be from a SC condtiond.    If you were P and T for 10 full years, then the cause of death may not matter so much. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use