Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Connection Granted

Rate this topic

Kirk

Kirk- sounds like you have a Great SO- you and the SO are absolutely correct on the dialysis

ratings-

Seems to be this is a no brainer P & T too-

Has your SO considered any SMC also-

38 USC 1114-Special Monthly Compensation-

or HB (Housebound) or A & A.(Aid and Attendance)

Knight Ridder News has the Morning report link for all VAROs-

or maybe I found it at the VA web site- forget-

Yes- there is GREAT disparity in the way VARos are handling claims state by state.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Berta,

The SO seems to think the the dependent educational benefits equals P&T.

I asked the SO about SMC's and she didnt sound to hopeful. My blood pressure is well regulated with meds, not feeling any side effects from the medicines and only have one other issue already rated at 10%.

I am certainly not housebound as I drive myself 60 mile each way to dialysis three times a week. I do have questions on A&A. My wife is on social security for arthritis and several other auto immune diseases. Between us we manage to get by but really have to struggle at times when she is feeling extra bad and I'm a little under the weather too. I would be nice to have some help around the house even if only a couple days a week. We are both still young, Me 41 Her 31. Her parents are just down the road so Father-in-Law helps me with heavy jobs which I would have been able to do alone just a few years ago.

Thanks for the quick reply

Kirk

• HadIt.com Elder
Berta,

I asked the SO about SMC's and she didnt sound to hopeful. My blood pressure is well regulated with meds, not feeling any side effects from the medicines and only have one other issue already rated at 10%.

I am certainly not housebound as I drive myself 60 mile each way to dialysis three times a week. I do have questions on A&A. My wife is on social security for arthritis and several other auto immune diseases. Between us we manage to get by but really have to struggle at times when she is feeling extra bad and I'm a little under the weather too. I would be nice to have some help around the house even if only a couple days a week. We are both still young, Me 41 Her 31. Her parents are just down the road so Father-in-Law helps me with heavy jobs which I would have been able to do alone just a few years ago.

Thanks for the quick reply

Kirk

Going to Doctors appointments does not count against A&A.

Berta,

It does and I'm sure berta just missed that part of your last post.

P.S. - If your hep was already rated at 60%+ and you just received 100% for your renal issues then you "should" qualify for housebound under the "100% + 60%" rule....it would only add about $250/mnth, but every little bit helps and that $250 would be a large sum over your 3 yrs retro:-)

Edited by Jay Johnson

Jay Unfortunately my Hep B is only rated at 10% so no house bound there.

What would it take to get A&A? I have never looked into it or even considered it, butt with my wife having a complete ankle replacement this spring she will be off her feet for a few months and I'm gonna be in trouble cause I know I cant do what she does around here.

Kirk

• HadIt.com Elder
Jay Unfortunately my Hep B is only rated at 10% so no house bound there.

What would it take to get A&A? I have never looked into it or even considered it, butt with my wife having a complete ankle replacement this spring she will be off her feet for a few months and I'm gonna be in trouble cause I know I cant do what she does around here.

Kirk

It basically requires a Doc to fill out a form that the VA provides that shows that you are housebound or to be 100% plus 60%. If you require your wifes help now I would guess that you are qualified right now.