Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Service Disabled Life Insurance: DEADLINE: Jan. 1, 2023, Do Not Wait To Sign Up!

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

VA Free Life Insurance.png

Do not miss this deadline. 

The VA website states, "they won't accept any more SVDI insurance applications after Jan.1, 2023".  

I would apply "even if" I was not 100 percent, "but I thought I may be" some time in the future, as you may get in on the insurance.  But who knows?  

This means if you are 100 percent and don't yet have the free 10,000 life insurance, then apply, so VA GETS your application by/before Jan. 1.  Note:  The VA Life insurance calls it "waiver of premiums," but that means, if eligible, you get the premiums waived and get the benefits of the insurance, that is, what I call "free insurance."  

This is whole life insurance meaning it "builds cash value" over time. You can borrow or cash it in from that cash value, even though you haven't paid any premiums.  

I get a letter yearly on the cash value of my life insurance at VA.  

This can provide emergency money if you need it in a few years.  

Don't miss that deadline. Read the rules:

Go Here Now to Apply: VA Disabled Veterans Life Insurance

Edited by Tbird
Formatting

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@broncovet Like @blahsaysme2u, I appealed the denial of my waiver. The BVA apparently did not certify it, whatever that means. The previous denial letters all said I had the right to appeal to the BVA. However, I did have my BVA hearing on a different issue, but that is separate from this.

I vaguely remember talking to the VA insurance hotline and being told something like the benefit to VA life insurance is that they can't fault SC disabilities by charging you a higher rate like non-VA insurance can.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.