Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

HLR decision and question

Rate this question

Ranmic

Question

Hi everyone! I have a question please. I got my results from my HLR and I'm happy to say at least it wasn't a denial as I thought it would be. But, I'll admit that I'm a little perplexed on the what is being done and what is next, so I was hoping y'all could shed some light on this for me. Quick backstory. I filed a claim for my hips (secondary to my knees) and got a denial. The "favorable findings" were 1. I have a diagnosis, and 2. I have a service connection to it. What I was missing was a nexus to tie them together. I had an HLR interview last month and was sure it would be denied, but today I got the actual paperwork and here is what it stated.
Decision:
  1. A duty to assist has been identified during the higher-level review for the left hip.
  2. A duty to assist has been identified during the higher-level review for the right hip.
Reason for decision:
  1. The issue of left hip strain was returned for correction of a duty to assist error in the prior decision. We failed to get an examination(s) and/or medical opinion(s). We will develop for clarification of medical opinion.
  2. The issue of right hip strain was returned for correction of a duty to assist error in the prior decision. We failed to get an examination(s) and/or medical opinion(s). We will develop for clarification of medical opinion.
Basically that's it. So do I just sit back and continue to wait or what? The paperwork really didn't tell me I needed or should do anything.
Thank you in advance.

3 answers to this question

Someone should have identified that your condition was not yet ready to rate and didn't- either private medical had not yet arrived, or wasn't solicited for if you mentioned getting care elsewhere, but didnt provide an address. Or, the opinion came back from the first exam, the RVSR got it and rated it, it went to authorization, and an error was called on the RVSR for not requesting a clarification from the examiner about something that wasn't correctly done, or not resolved in the exam. 

There's two possibilities there.

I would think that the vba will order a new C&P, or at the least, ask the previous examiner for clarification or an addendum for more information on a previous exam.

If you don't have a nexus you might take the opportunity to get one. 

Your claim will be kicked out of the HLR and up to a suplemental claim because of the missing but needed medical information, giving you a chance to submit a nexus letter.

Supply your own good luck!