How to get civilian doctor to write a letter of support

Rate this question

Dustin

Question

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Psoriasis is one of those claims that if service connected is granted, depends on the percentage of the body is affected, you might get 10. Also it's a hard one to get service connected if you weren't diagnosed in service. I was diagnosed with eczema while in service and got a zero rating.

Getting a civilian Doc to do an imo is very challenging. Most are very skeptical of writing a letter due to fear. Some will do it.

The VA forces vet to have and IMO but they are also aware that Vets will pay big money to get one then turn around and deny the claim for something as to how long the doctor have been treating the Vet. That's part of the IMO. Why pay for an IMO these days.

Civilian Doctor's do give better treatment, I agree, but in my opinion, by using your VA pct, you can pretty much provide a link. Use your myhealthevet messaging. That's a great tool. Use the emergency room if needed. Make appointments with your VA pct. Make sure what you have discussed is documented on your notes. These guys are smart, be careful on how you say things.

In example, I have flat feet which is service connected. Now my knees are bad. This is what I tell my doc. My knees hurt because of my feet. That's my chief complaint. No I am not a doc but why else would my knees hurt. Make sure that it's noted. If not, that's where messaging comes into play.

Finally my pmct sent me to the podiatrist. Told the podiatrist the same. He noted it in my records. Keep in mind I am scd for my feet.

Once my knees swell up, I do go to the VA emergency room. Tell them the same. I also make sure it's documents correctly for my visit. 

Buddy statements and lay statements help as well. Now you have a big paper trail.

I am not saying that this method works but makes VA work harder to find a way for denial.

My opinion.

On 2/5/2023 at 8:21 AM, Whodat said:

The VA forces vet to have and IMO but they are also aware that Vets will pay big money to get one then turn around and deny the claim for something as to how long the doctor have been treating the Vet. That's part of the IMO. Why pay for an IMO these days.

True, but the C&P examiner isn't my treating Dr. either.  They have the same evidence.  In my case the Dr. I paid to do an IMO trained C&P examiners on how to conduct exams.  Another one I had, was a former C&P examiner with over 20,000 exams under his belt.  Both of their exams were written way better than the VA examiners paid guns.

My initial scars claim went from 10% to 80% after I filed an NOD with this additional evidence.  My PTSD/TBI went from 50% to 100% P&T.  It does suck that we have to do this, I will give you that.  It did work out in my favor.

True Dat from Whodat. Glad it worked for you. But also understand, VA has hired newer and smarter staff. Yes c&p examiner isn't your treating physician. Paid IMO isn't your treating physician as well. The VA has an upper advantage because of the fact that info can be pulled from military service. Can your IMO Doc do the same? Probably not. IE, VA can access your personal files like military orders etc to verify. Called PERSCOM. IMO writers can only have access to what you have submitted or and fioa for medical release. Smh. 

Some believe in imo some don't Its really up to the veteran 

Me I feel the VA is just doing things different.

I just got a remand order from a bva judge. I refuse anymore exams and VA duty to assist.

Ask for a decision based on my 25 year record by law for smc benefits 

Bva Judge listed all my Comp exams and favorable evidence.

the judge state  get a medical opinion without in person exam that address all my evidence an Comp exams that was order by the VA.

Ok ppl what happened to the rater address the exams and evidence in file.

Negative and positive evidence this how benefit of doubt come in to play 

Basically the judge told the VA get a medical opinion to deny all my evidence. Who are they assisting 

See it don't matter anymore the VA will order medical opinion to address any evidence you provided  or they order.

This is VA tactic of developing to deny 

So I ain't paying thousands of dollars for the VA not to accept it they ain't even accepting there own exams and medical opinions these days.

My opinion