Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Total and permanent.

Rate this question

Kadyr

Question

Forgive me if I’m posting  this in the wrong forum. 

I was total and permanent at 90% a few months back. Now I’m at a 100, but they still have me with that total and permanent in employability rating line. How do I ask the va to get rid of that unemployability word rating without affecting my new 100 % rating. Ptsd 70, tbi 30, about 7 other issues at 10 percent. And some others at 0%. I should be happy with it, but is not a life being stuck not doing being able to do anything else for me at least. Any tips, on what I need to do to get rid of that unemployability wording on my decision, please I’m tired of being stuck and not being able to go to school or work because of that total and permanent rating. I’m 37 too

Edited by Kadyr
Made a wording mistake

My suggestion would be to let it go. Find a hobby or something else to do.  Depending on your symptoms and rating, it may be kind of hard removing the unemployability part of your rating. I understand your frustration, but it is best to accept the fact that you are medically retired. I say this based on my experience. I know several veterans that were rated TDIU and then went back to work and the real problem is not can you get a job, but it is can you keep a job. Especially with a mental health rating, you never know what could possibly trigger an episode. Even if the work environment is not stressful, you still have to work with people and that is always a problem.

I know a veteran that was TDIU and on SSDI and was convinced to go back to work.  She lasted just about the time both the VA reduced her rating because she went back to full-time work, and she also lost her SSDI benefits. The VA and the SSA wants you to go back to work but there is a rule that once you return back to work for thirteen (13) consecutive months then you are considered rehabilitated, and you no longer meet the TDIU and or SSDI criteria and your ratings could be reevaluated and either reduced or taken away. I explained to her what I am trying to explain to you. Please try to reconsider your thoughts on trying to go back to work. If you choose this route, be forewarned that it is very possible that you may face the same outcome. For me, the CH 35 was too great of a benefit to lose because my dependents got their college funds free of charge.

As always, your benefits your decision, just trying to shed a little light on your situation. A lot of veterans would love to go back to work but keeping a job is a lot worse than just getting a job. Think about your symptoms and the possibility that most symptoms get worst not better.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• Community Owner

pacmanx1 gave you good advice. If you have enough ratings to equal 100% by VA math. (Not yours or mine) Not including 100% UI. You can ask the VA to change your ratting to a scheduler. (it means that your VA math adds up to 100% via  scheduler) With that you can work and earn money.  Depending on how long you have had you UI or the other 100% to see if you are in a protected class. I would volunteer to do some thing like help others.

Agreed.  Fretting whether you are tdiu or 100 percent schedular, may be a waste of time with a few exceptions:

1.  Your family.  DIC for your spouse requires you die of a SERVICE connected condition (or 10 years after you are P and T, any cause).  You want to take care of your family, and should think about that, too.  

2.  You can review with someone experienced your disabilities to determine, for example, if another SC could/would bring additional compensation for SMC S, for example.  

Last time I went to the grocery store, no one asked, "Hey, buddy wait.  Is that money from tdiu, or is this from 100 percent schedular?  We dont accept TDIU money, it has to be schedular"...this is not likely to happen.  Be happy they are taking care of you, unless you deserve more benefits.