Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Vietnam Veterans Hep C Claims

Rate this question

spike

Question

I am helping a Vietnam Vet. Previous to me helping him, he has been constantly denied the SC part of the Hep C. From what I gather from a Doc who served in Nam at that time is that the Hep C was very likely transfered through the use of the Shot apparatus (Airguns) for those shots. There was no requirements for cleaning reusable medical devices at that time. Anyone who can support this and has had a SC for something like this please PM me or post here and let me know how you were able to get approved on this.

-Spike-

Vet Advocate

--------------

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Spike- Monte Wilson of the VVA had the first hep C to air gun win.

I asked him how they did it.Get this- the vet had 2 tattoos- a usual denial basis on these claims-

They used a study from England- I might still have it- that showed the air guns could cause Hep C.

It was pretty interesting how VA disregards internet printouts most of the time but they sure considered the printout of this study.

Vets have continued with some success (see the BVA web site decisions under Hep C)

if they had trsansfusions in service, or air guns that were not sterilized (probably all air guns up to the Gulf War), if they have no history of IV drug use, and whether or not they have tattoos-they can succeed on these claims.

Not always easy however-

I think the VC guy that posed also as a barber in Danang-1960s- probably was using contaminated razors on vets.My husband and other vets knew who I mean and Rod used to say how odd it was to sit there in a barber chair and get a close shave from the Enemy.(it was only a rumor then but since, proven by fact since - the guy was VC) Those razors could have easily caused Hep C.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

PS no link on the net to that case- Monte got the award at the RO level-I contacted him through Vietnam Veterans of America and he told me the whole story.

I THOUGHT I had a resource of a doctor -- from our research -- but I can't find it.

The VA has a specific page on their Hepatitis C Website that discusses airguns (they are NOT in favor of approving the claims:

http://www.hepatitis.va.gov/vahep?page=ptfaq-2005-09-05

Frequently Asked Questions

Question:

Did I get hepatitis C from air gun vaccinations?

Answer:

Although it is possible in theory, there is not enough evidence to confirm this as a risk factor. Attempts to obtain service connection by claiming air gun infection during military service have been controversial. Please see the Veterans Benefits Administration's letter on this issue.

The July 2004 letter is posted at

http://www.hepatitis.va.gov/doc/va01-pr/pr...5/scpl-fl04.doc

It starts with:

BACKGROUND: In August 2003, one regional office issued a rating decision granting service connection for hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection as the result of immunization with a “jet air gun.” A misleading statement, incorrectly ascribed to Lawrence Deyton MSPH, MD Chief Consultant, Public Health Strategic Health Care Group, US Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington, DC is posted on the Internet (http://www.hcvets.com/). On this site, the following is incorrectly ascribed to Dr. Deyton: "Anyone who had inoculations with the jet injector were [sic] at risk of having hepatitis C and should be tested."

But the website they cited

http://www.hcvets.com/

might lead you to some resources.

Free

I am helping a Vietnam Vet. Previous to me helping him, he has been constantly denied the SC part of the Hep C. From what I gather from a Doc who served in Nam at that time is that the Hep C was very likely transfered through the use of the Shot apparatus (Airguns) for those shots. There was no requirements for cleaning reusable medical devices at that time. Anyone who can support this and has had a SC for something like this please PM me or post here and let me know how you were able to get approved on this.
Think Outside the Box!

Another resource -- NOT what will help - but some good info on what you are up against and what to avoid:

http://www.va.gov/OCA/testimony/hvac/13ap00NE.asp

free

Think Outside the Box!

Hep C vets are on the web too- this is an excellent site:

http://www.hcvets.com/

and Hep vets at

http://www.geocities.com/hepvet/index.html

Here is a Hep C awarded claim:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files3/0610323.txt

They made some key points here that a Hep C vet could use-as far as relative equipose.

Edited by Berta