Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension in Service connection rated at 0 percent

Rate this question

coetexas

Question

i have been on medication since 2005 for High Blood pressure and it has been under control by taking Lisinopril meds daily , 

I am 100% disabled SC would it have any benefit to file and update my rating of 0 

I meet the requirements of Agent Orange in accordance with PACT ACT 

Edited by coetexas
adding info

6 answers to this question

Yes it would. There are many secondary conditions that might result from the HBP. You could file on them as they occur, if hypertension was already service connected.

• HadIt.com Elder

I just had my HBP claim service connected due to AO exposure.  I have the big three....heart condition, diabetes and HBP due to AO.  I would file on all three if I had them.  Many times you may not even know you have heart disease until you have a heart attack.  I found out about CAD after getting a CT scan of my leg.  Even if you have a zero rating for HBP it can lead to heart attack and stroke.  These conditions are all interrelated.

Ask any doctor:  Excessively high blood pressure leads to organ damage, such as the heart, kidneys, etc.  It should not be stretch to link (aka nexus) heart problems or kidney problems to your SC high blood pressure.    Just get the doctor to make the opinion, in the form of a nexus.  

With secondaries, you need only "2" Caluza elements:

1.  Current diagnosis

2.  Nexus statement linking your current sc condition to other conditions.  

Example secondary nexus:   

The Veterans current diagnosis of heart disease is at least as likely as not due to high blood pressure. 

In other words, you dont need an in service event, because that is already established.  

• HadIt.com Elder

They call HBP the silent killer.  Long term organ damage is the worst effect IMO because you don't know it until it happens.   Stroke is the other bad effect.  You can feel fine and be one step from the grave.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@asdf Looks like he said "I am 100% disabled SC would it have any benefit to file and update my rating of 0", however it is not clear if his rating of 0 is SC or NSC...