VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Aid & Attendance for spouse

Rate this question

x020574

Question

I am 100% SC, 72 yrs old and my wife of 30 yrs is 62 yrs young. She has become plagued with Lipedema, Lymphedema, five yrs out from cancer surgery etc... needless to say she has become dependent on me for most ADAs,  to the point where she needs help bathing, walking more than 30 -40 feet ( whenever she falls she is unable to get back up, due to weakness in legs & arms. She is terrified she'll fall and nobody will be around). Would she be eligible for A & A and/or Homebound while I'm alive or does she have to be collecting DIC (meaning I'm dead). Unfortunately, she does not have enough work credits to get SSDI. My 10 yr service connected anniversary comes up in Aug/2023 - not sure if that helps????.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Some of you guys makes lots of money. With my disability I can barely afford my rent and my old raggedy truck. Lol.

Whodat..if you are at 90 percent, you need to try to get to 100, or even more.  (SMC).  And, apply for social security disability also, if you have not already.  

The disability rates are pretty much the same for everyone..of course, depending on your disability rating.   Frankly, however, I do well with my 100 percent plus SMC S, plus social security.  (and wifes social security).  I saved my retro and invested it.  

JamesCripps..Those are great looking Chevy's.  I had a 55 Chevy, and a 57 Belair.  And also a 49 Hudson.  

Now, Im driving a 2005 Cadillac Deville.  (Its mint condition, 78k miles and "turns heads", but not like your chevy's!) 

I hear you Bronco. I am trying my brother but it is quite a challenge..I am getting closer to that hundred percent but its just that VA is taking so long. Who knows, I might already be there. My legacy appeal is just sitting there. Had the hearing April 2022 now it's almost June 2023. My attorney has done a HLR for my migraines and knees and also new claim for Chronic Sinusitis and increase for shoulder. Something should hit. 

All of those cars are nice. Hopefully one day I can get a toy. 

Many/most of us have been through those incredibly long delays, whodat.  The comp rate for a married Vet at 90% is 2353 while 100 percent is 3823.  This is almost a 1500 dollar pay raise for a 10 percent increase.  Of course, if you can also get SMC S, thats another 450, so thats nearly 2000 per month raise.  

If you are not working, and have not yet gone for it, consider applying for tdiu also.  Legacy seems to take forever, but I do know that attorney's dont like giving up some legal abilities with AMA, so they often opt for legacy.  

Im shocked HLR is taking that long...the good news is it should be happening soon because HLR is at your VARO.  

There are quite a few new vehicles at my VAMC parked in the "handicapped" spots, so my guess is these are disabled vets who have gotten some retro, and got a new car.  

It may sound crazy, but I have made some money buying new cars and reselling them used.  This only works with some popular models, such as Rav4 hybrids, Sienna (hybrid minvan getting 36 miles per gallon in a mini van).  Of course, you also need to find a dealer willing to sell a new one at msrp or less.  I have not made that much money, but have been able to drive new cars at pretty much no cost, that way.  I dont have to buy tires, I trade them in before the tires get worn out.  

I dont even have to pay to change the oil, because Toyota has 2 years of free maintenance, so does Honda, and some of the others.  Guys used to buy Tesla's new, then sell em used for more, but that no longer works because they have lowered the cost of new tesla's, and this drove down the used price.  

If the car is widely available on the lots, new, then it wont work.  You will never get more for a used car if the dealer has a new one cheaper.  The shortages of new cars is what makes it work, and that only works with some models.  I actually dont think it will work any more....new cars are starting to come in, and people wont pay more than new for a used one. 

The only time they will pay more for used than new is:

1.  No new cars of that model are available within 100 miles, at multiple dealerships.  

2.  Its a popular, well sought after car most of the time that gets great gas mileage when others dont.  The best examples are the Ford Maverick, and the Toyota Sienna.  In my area, you wont find a new one of either of these for sale on the lot "unless" the dealer is jacking up the price 5000 or so over msrp.  So, if you do have a near new one, you can get big bucks for it.  After all, a maverick hybrid gets 42 mpg in the city, and the Sienna gets 36.  

So, if you want a small pickup that gets great gas mileage, there is pretty much ONE choice:  Maverick.  

Same with Sienna.  If you want a mini van that gets 36 mpg in town or hiway, it is a Sienna.  

Other minivans/ pickups will be lucky to get 20 mpg, or even less in town.  So these 2 save thousands of bucks on gas.  And, its worth it to pay more to save a hundred bucks a month or more on gas, depending on how much you drive.  

With the hybrids, you dont have to plug them in (except plug in hybrids).  You just drive and fill em with gas when needed and get way, way better than gas only cars/trucks/minivans.   No waiting to charge an EV battery.  Just go.  

The hybrids run quiter, and take less maintenance than a gas engine.  A Toyota hybrid (camry hybrid, prius, Sienna) does not have a starter, no alternator, and brakes last way longer.  So, you dont replace those, ever, because you dont have one.  

Yea, you could have to replace a hybrid battery.  But most have around 100,000 mile warranty, and I dont keep mine 100,000 miles.  So, I dont worry about the cost of a hybrid battery.