Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

General C& P Exam for Gastritis

Rate this question

Ranmic

Question

I filed a claim for Gastritis recently and got a call today from QTC Medical Services. My exam is scheduled for tomorrow (14Jun) and is a "general exam" according to QTC. I recently had an upper GI performed at the VA back in Jan/Feb timeframe when I was diagnosed with Gastritis. My question is, other than talking about all of my symptoms (pain, gas, burning in stomach and chest) does anyone have any tips to share about their experience with these type exams? My justification is the constant amount of NSAIDS I take to combat my knee pain (my knees are service connected). Also, I'd like to add that during my upper GI with the VA they discovered H. Pylori. I'm kinda nervous that they will link my gastritis to that and deny my claim of NSAIDS for a cause along with the other VA meds I take like cholesterol, Paxil and Ibuprofen daily. Thanks in advance.

4 answers to this question

When you go to the C and P EXAM, he will likely ask, "How are you?" 

Just think before hand.  IF you give the usual "fine", then you will be backpedaling the whole exam.  

Instead, a better answer would be:

"As good as can be expected, under the circumstances.  Today was a good day, but Thursday was awful.  (Now describe your symptoms on your worst day, not necessarily how you feel today!)

Most advocates recommend reporting your symptoms on your worst day, not last Saturday when you were nearly symptom free, and went boating with family and had a wonderful time.  Of course, dont lie, and dont exaggerate symptoms, just  think back to a very bad day, and write down those symptoms if you need to to remember them. 

Another good answer is, "Im glad you asked."  Last week was horrible.  I was so sick, almost went to ER.  (Or did go to ER).  Just remember not to answer the classic "fine", because the obvious response is, "Gee, if you are fine, why are you applying for disability?"

Many of us, rather than bore others about our aches and pains, just respond  "fine".  And, you dont need to tell everyone you meet all about your pain, medications, etc.   But, the C and P exam is not the place to minimize your ailments, either.  Just be honest, and tell what happened on your worst day. 

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

These exams are gambles.  You may have an exam doctor that is great and then one that is bad. You pays your money and you takes your chances.