Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

70% tdiu p&t at 100% rate ptsd + ssdi. Concerns about Ssdi 7yr review

Rate this question

opbill55

Question

This site "SHOWED ME THE WAY".. back in 2005 and forward. Always my goto. thank goodness for our founder

Not sure if this question is appropriate...but, looking to see others experiences and opinions..

It may also be relevant to many who attain 100% pt and are dealing with ssdi as well. It all fits together

I have been rated at 70% tdiu at 100% rate for ptsd since 2010. 

I also was awarded SSDI in 2011

I was awarded va p&t status in 2014.

In 2016, SSDI sent me a review questionaire..I(have I worked, doctor appts, can I work and is ptsd the same) filled it out.... benefits continued!!

I will say i've had continuous and ongoing care with the same v a doctors since 2008.

We are all growing old together lol?

My question is this...

I just received another SSDI review questionnaire, ... may 2023

I thought after seven years they would stop asking, especially since i'm under v a care and they supposedly have my records

This is sending shock waves of anxiety through my bones... Which makes me always feel like somebody's gonna try and take something away from me ...kind of part of my thing.

Besides answering obviously questions.. No I can't work, yes i've been seeing MENTAL HEALTH doctors Every month, no I can't work and ptsd hasn't changed....

There is a remarks box...should I indicate my status with the va ...or is that too much info to throw a red flag..because they should already have that info...why are they asking if they already have access to my file,, etc etc..

It kind of throws me into a panic paranoia that what life I have left, and trying to cope, as I know it, may end soon.. logic, would throw in a lol chuckle, but this FEELS far to serious

I haven't been able to function since I recieved this..

Am I making too much out of this?

Your opinions really DO count for something

Thank you

USAF

Many of the disabled Vets here are also SSDI, to include me.  As I mentioned, at my age 65, my ssdi "quietly" turned into regular social security retirement.  

You did not mention your age...but I do know Social Security disability has special (more generous) rules for people over age 55.  VA also, is not supposed to give re exams to disabled Vets over 55 (that is for reduction purposes).  

AARP, lobbies to protect citizens over 55, and my guess is that made its way into Social Security and VA, given what I posted in the previous paragraph.  

One Veteran on hadit, was called in for a re exam, and she was over 55.  A few phone calls were made, and the re exam was cancelled.  

While VA "does leave open the door", by regulations stating, "no (re)exams will be given to Veterans over 55, unless there is a good reason...type of thing.  

With VA and social security, the big issue is, "Are you working"?  

If you began work and earned income, then, AFTER a year, of earning over the poverty level, VA pension and SSD would likely do something.  

Both VA disabilility and social security disability are designed to replace income lost from a disability.  SSD does not have percentages, you are either disabled or not.  

Both VA and SSD have programs so you can go back to work.  For example, with both, you dont need to worry about it until you have worked for a period of time, that is usually a year.  I think with VA, its "how much did you earn last year (2022).  If you did not earn the poverty level, then the VA or SSD can consider a re exam or reduction.  

My advice is if you are not working dont worry about it.  If you are working, stay at your job and also not worry about it.  

I think social security disability also still has a "ticket to return to work" program, which lets you transition back into the workplace and keep some of your disability check, at least up to where you are earning significant income.  

https://www.ssa.gov/work/.  follow the links on this page.  

• Community Owner

So what I need to know is how old are you and how long have you been on SSDI? Social security has some of the same rules just with a different twist. SSDI has a cutoff age of 55 where they consider you to be untrainable. I don't think I have had one since I turned 50.  Has someone turned you in because they are pissed at you. They usually don't do reviews if you have been on it for 10 years. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I got SSDI within three months after applying. Much of it depends on how skilled your doctor has at dealing with SSA.  I do think it is easier to get SSDI for those with emotional/mental disabilities than physical ones.  If you base a claim on pain related to a physical injury they might say the pain is just a subjective symptom with no proof.  However, if you file for chronic pain disorder related to depression it goes.  Having a doctor who has had dealings with SSDI is the main thing IMO.  Shrinks usually have lots of experience with invisible disabilities.

On 6/17/2023 at 3:31 PM, Rattler said:

So what I need to know is how old are you and how long have you been on SSDI? Social security has some of the same rules just with a different twist. SSDI has a cutoff age of 55 where they consider you to be untrainable. I don't think I have had one since I turned 50.  Has someone turned you in because they are pissed at you. They usually don't do reviews if you have been on it for 10 years. 

Thank you everyone for your input..

I am 57yo. Va disabled veteran 70% individual unemployability, awarded 2010, permanent & total as of 2014

For ptsd.....

I was awarded ssdi at max rate in 2011.

I have already completed a 7yr review questionare ( have u worked, doc appts etc) about 7yrs ago.

I have not worked and I have consistently, every month, been see my doctors at the VA since 2008

logic says nothing to worry about, but, when u have ptsd, anxiety etc, alot of the time is spent in a totally different orbit....

Thanks everybody

• HadIt.com Elder

Once you are 55  I don't think you have anything to worry about now.  The only way you might have a problem is for you to go back to work at a regular job.  IMO once you are P&T the VA tends to forget about you.  I was TDIU for about 20 years and never had a problem.  Maybe you can work on getting actual 100% or another 60% because then you get Housebound which is another $300.  I got actual 100% a few years ago.  Nothing changed.  If you have VA and SSDI you can actually survive even in Florida these days.  Have you checked out toxic exposure?

53 minutes ago, john999 said:

Once you are 55  I don't think you have anything to worry about now.  The only way you might have a problem is for you to go back to work at a regular job.  IMO once you are P&T the VA tends to forget about you.  I was TDIU for about 20 years and never had a problem.  Maybe you can work on getting actual 100% or another 60% because then you get Housebound which is another $300.  I got actual 100% a few years ago.  Nothing changed.  If you have VA and SSDI you can actually survive even in Florida these days.  Have you checked out toxic exposure?

Thanks for that, but I'm not so concerned with the VA, my questions were about SDI the eye and there Questionnaire report.  Which I received seven years ago.. And now i've just received another one...

Can you work, when were your last appointments? , have you gone to school et cetera et cetera...

But, when I go to the remarks To add information Specific to my appointments because there's not enough room, In the initial boxes they provide.,...

Should I also write and identify myself as a disabled veteran and that I receive all my character health care System.

More specifically, should I just simply give a general 100% disabled veteran TDI U Permanent total.

I mean, do they understand the terms ... and if it doesnt match up with my file, which probably says 70% tdiu p&t paid at 100% rate.

Will that trigger a full evsluation??

I read somewhere that if your information doesn't match up then that triggers a flag and they look more closely..

Again problem my logic sayes that i'm splitting hairs and I shouldn't worry so much about it..

Thanks