VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

si-joint

Rate this question

Ken Dillon

Question

Good morning, I am currently at total 90%  disable, I am at 40% Lumbar fusion, my question is this, is the SI-Joint more of a back problem or hip or even something else. Because I have been in pain and walk different since my last fusion. I had many shots in my spine and SI-Joint had temp relief, I suspect they want to fuse my SI-Joint next. I also have 10% disability to the RT Hip.  Thanks

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Sacro-Iliac is basically lower back. It's known and accepted that fusions eventually lead to more fusions, though, and place undue increased stress on the surrounding discs (as someone that can't get a fusion because mine is so low that its dangerous to pursue, I'm jealous of people with fusions, even if for a few years). If your fusion is causing you pain into other areas then file for it. Lots of things are connected to the back, or its movements. 

For most vets, absent a compelling reason, the goal is to get to 100 percent, and few of us care if that is for multpile disabilites combined, tdiu, or a single disability.  (A single 100 percent disability is needed for many versions of smc, such as smc S, housebound). 

Therefore, I suggest you do whats necessary (that is legal and ethical) to get you to 100 percent.  Not working?  Go for tdiu.

Additional disabilities?  apply for them.  

Try looking in places you did not look at in the past.  A biggie is secondaries, for example,  constant pain is depressing.  So, you may be eligible for depression secondary to one or more of your other sc disabilities.  

You can also claim side effects from drugs that you take, if they are more than transitory, and are chronic and long-term. GERD is pretty well known as a side effect of NSAIDS (naproxen, ibuprofen, etc) and if you take 2400-3200 mg a day of Ibuprofen you are probably going to end up with GERD (acid reflux). 

Thanks for the help, I did file for Gerd which I do have and was noted in health records and trips to hospitals for that, I was denied that disability. So I did a supplement claim, I found BVA claims like mine and Inclosed those plus items back In 83 was given 800 mgs Motrin. For back injury ended up multi back surgeries

• Community Owner

So what are your symptoms?  If you list them maybe we can help you decide how to file. This is could be secondary to your surgery, like arthritis scar tissue etc.

The problem most vets make is walking in to the VA with a self diagnosis. Was this surgery done by the vA or your private  doc?

How I was told to by a VA Peer support was approach it like this. He uses WebMD to look stuff up. You go out to the site look up Sacro-Iliac is / lower back. you write down YOUR symptoms for use when you go to the VA. 

If it was the VA that did your surgery than walk into their office and say. "I am having problems after my SC back surgery (Describe what is happening using what you wrote down from Web MD.)" If the VA doc you are seeing is worth anything he/she should be entering this info in the system. He is creating a record of your problem. Make sure you tell him/her when this started so you will give them the effective date to put ion the records. Let them do there job. Don't do it for them by self diagnosis. 

I would than file for the issue as a secondary to the surgery. You can still do the above after you file it just look better if you talk to the doc first.

If you have a private doc I would try to get an IMO.