Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DBQ INITIAL PTSD DSMV

Rate this question

hwill

Question

I put a claim in for Ptsd, Anxiety, and depression after talking with my Va health provider. She said that I should apply after talking with her for a few years about some issues I was having. I was reluctant to for a long time, but I finally decided to apply. I received an appointment for a Telecom DBQ initial Ptsd Dsmv. They said it would be about a 120 minute meeting. I was just wondering if anyone had gone thru this process and what to expect. I had one similar a few years back with a Mental health doctor by Video conference and they stated that I had anxiety disorder and Depression, I can't remember what was said about Ptsd. They just asked a lot of questions about my deployments. Have to go back and check the notes. They wanted me to try the medication. I'm taking Prazosin for nightmares, Lorazapem for anxiety and depression, zolpheim for insomnia. I'm just trying to figure out what to expect. and what's the next step after the video conference, will there be any additional meeting.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I would imagine it would be similar to the video conference you had previously. You can actually look at the DBQ's online at your convenience right from the VA's web site: https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/dbq_publicdbqs.asp. This will give you a reasonable idea of what the examiner might ask. If you have the ability to print it, you could fill it out from your perspective to the best of your knowledge. Just go down to "Psychological" to find three DBQs and just read the ones which apply. Keep in mind that they change the DBQs up periodically. I really wish the VA would include the DBQ web site address when sending out C&P exam letters so vets would have an idea of what to expect.

Keep in mind the examiner may have already reviewed your MH treatment record history. They might only ask a limited set of potential questions.

This is the link to the rating criteria § 4.130 Schedule of ratings—Mental disorders:

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-38/chapter-I/part-4/subpart-B/subject-group-ECFRfa64377db09ae97/section-4.130

I included it so you can look at the way they are rated. Each row in the table can have one or more set of criteria.

Apparently things have really changed since 1985 when I received my first evaluation and diagnosis of Nam combat PTSD at the Temple, TEXAS VA hospital MH wards.   I and other Nam vets were given extensive MH psychological tests that included hours long MMPI full test with all the subtest of MMPI and also repeated ink blot test plus drawing pictures, word associations questions, interviews with different level MH pukes, other true false test to check for lying, evasion and then facing hostile VA shrinks for more questions and then finally hostile VA C&P examiners.

We were then sent to the Alcohol REHAB wards for more of the same where they made us out to be worthless SOB losers that needed to repent for our many sins of being young teens and men sent to a god for saken war in Vietnam.   We were also subjected to severe drug abuse causing complete temporary psychosis and breakdowns in front of A&M health students. 

Unlike others I survived all this BS and raised holey hell with many U.S. congressmen and Senators by writing all of them similar letters of complaint that resulted in several serious congressional inquiries to the directors of Central Texas VA health care and the Waco and Reno VA regional office directors plus Secretary of Veterans Administration.

All of those VA pukes are dead now for a long time I am happy to say and I have been rated 100% P&T TDIU and now P&T 100% for over 24 years and still going strong.  Payback is sweet.

I have 4 honorable discharges from the Active Army, National Guard and Reserves and also refused a return call to active duty by the Secretary of the Army as a CWO Army pilot.  They can all go to **** with their no win wars for profit and greed.

combinededitedcroppedperkins507thDustoffmedevacUH-1Hrescuehoist.jpg.7c3053794369e014e2ea83de19f3fbaf.jpg

combinedphotoofWOPerkinsinUH-1HdustoffandUpliftDustoff.jpg.3a1cba1b94292e66165bdd46db80653c.jpg

Close up combined photo of Perkins 498th UH-1H Dustoff medevac Stars Stripes news - Copy - Copy (2).JPG

The short answer is we dont know.  Va pretty much does what they want, when they want to, without any regard for Veterans wishes.  So, this 2 hour exam (probably less), may suffice.  I have heard Vets say it takes 20 minutes, or less, others its a grueling 3 hours.  

While we may think differently, the VA is ran by PEOPLE..with a vast array of different backgrounds and education.  And, its pretty much "never" standard VA wide.  Each place, or even each employee mostly does it their own way, tho many will dispute that, and tell them VA makes them do blah, blah, blah, but the next employee will say, "Heck I never had to do that"

There is one thing consistent with the VA:  Its inconsistent, and rules are applied differently 99 percent of the time.  

I had my video conference today for Ptsd, you were right it only lasted about 35 minutes, it went smoother than I thought it would. She stated that she would write it up right away and get it to the Va asap. I have the rest of my C&P appointments tomorrow. They scheduled them on Sunday. So, I assume they won't be busy.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I hope you have a positive outcome and good luck on the rest of the exams