VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Overpayment Waiver?

7 hours ago, pacmanx1 said:

Unfortunately, it is a tossup, filing a waiver for overpayment may or may not work. It has been so long that I had to remember. I have had waivers approved and denied. You may also want to complete VA Form 5655 (Financial Status Report) to show your financial hardship. These people are so dang nosey it is unbelievable. As stated, after filing out and submitting this form along with your request for waiver, the VA may still deny your request.  Pay close attention to item block 24B and put in a dollar amount you feel you can afford to repay.  Be honest and don’t try to shortchange them because that could backfire.

VA Form 5655, Financial Status Report

That nosey bit is good to know. To what extent I'm not sure but I'll be honest regardless. Thank you!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Community Owner

I agree it's a 50/50 crap shot on the waiver. But it's worth filing. Be honest on the form but be conservative. You don't want it to come back and bit you in the butt. 

• 1 month later...
  • Greeter

You never know unless you try for hardship. I was awarded once for hardship back in the day when I was going to college through vocrehab. I had to show my hardship but was approved. I wish you the best of luck