VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

retroactive backpay/Intent to file

Rate this question

hwill

Question

I'm trying to figure how Va calculate retroactive backpay. I was rated at 80% prior to submitting my intent to file. My intent to file was submitted around 14 March 2023. I recently received a rating of 100% around December 2023. Around 9 months. Should I be receiving the difference between 80 and 100% which would be around 1800 per month for 9 months, or should I receive 20% x 9 months. I received a deposit of $4200 with isn't adding up. Any help calculating this is appreciated.

When calculating retro, Vets often dont understand this:

VA compensation is paid "in arrears".  The VA does not pay you for disabilities "you think" you will have next month.  No

They pay you for those you had LAST month.  VA also does not pay partial months.  You get a full month or you get zero. 

Therefore, your pay starts the first day of the month FOLLOWING your effective date, but you wont get paid that until the following month.  

Example:

Your effective date is May 5, 2022.  Your first payment will be on July 1, 2022.  If that does not make sense, re read the above.  

When calculating back pay, many Vets (including myself) got this wrong.  

You are correct in that you get the difference between "what you already got paid", and what you should get paid.  That is, the difference between 80 percent you already got, and the 100 percent you should be getting.  

Its actually somewhat complicated to get the retro correct.  VA got mine wrong.  I asked for an audit because I knew it was wrong..way off..by tens of thousands of dollars.  VA agreed, upon the audit, and sent me more.  

On 12/22/2023 at 7:53 AM, broncovet said:

When calculating retro, Vets often dont understand this:

VA compensation is paid "in arrears".  The VA does not pay you for disabilities "you think" you will have next month.  No

They pay you for those you had LAST month.  VA also does not pay partial months.  You get a full month or you get zero. 

Therefore, your pay starts the first day of the month FOLLOWING your effective date, but you wont get paid that until the following month.  

Example:

Your effective date is May 5, 2022.  Your first payment will be on July 1, 2022.  If that does not make sense, re read the above.  

When calculating back pay, many Vets (including myself) got this wrong.  

You are correct in that you get the difference between "what you already got paid", and what you should get paid.  That is, the difference between 80 percent you already got, and the 100 percent you should be getting.  

Its actually somewhat complicated to get the retro correct.  VA got mine wrong.  I asked for an audit because I knew it was wrong..way off..by tens of thousands of dollars.  VA agreed, upon the audit, and sent me more.  

Dec. 29, 2023    $2,898.26    Compensation & Pension - Recurring    Direct Deposit    WELLS FARGO BANK    ******7520
Dec. 19, 2023    $4,283.34    Compensation & Pension - Retroactive    Direct Deposit    WELLS FARGO BANK    ******7520
Dec. 1, 2023    $2,094.15    Compensation & Pension - Recurring    Direct Deposit    WELLS FARGO BANK    ******7520
Nov. 1, 2023    $2,094.15    Compensation & Pension - Recurring    Direct Deposit    WELLS FARGO BANK    ******7520
Sept. 29, 2023    $2,094.15    Compensation & Pension - Recurring    Direct Deposit    WELLS FARGO BANK    ****
Sept. 1, 2023    $2,094.15  I'm still trying to figure this out, this is my recurring payment from va.  I became 100% effective 1 june 2023 they stated that I was paid 2808.04 when I was paid $2094 and they held $1015  for concurrent pay, payed $2898.26 dec 2023 $1047 withheld due to concurrent pay, I will receive full payment next month of $3946. Why are they holding pay for concurrent pay when I'm already receiving concurrent pay at the 80% rate. retire army

If anyone can answer "Why does the VA do ______?" , accurately, well, they should surely buy lottery tickets because they obviously have knowledge above and beyond normal comprehension, and they should focus their attention on something more profitable.  

However, Remember Cola changes Dec.1,  and the Dec. 29, 2023 payment is for Jan. 1, 2024 (because of holidays)  so the first number reflects a Cola increase, as did mine.   So much for the easy part.  

All this said, "Dont trust that the VA computers will get your pay right".  

I got a retro check that I knew was 5 figures off, and asked for an audit and they corrected it in my favor.  

If you think you should get 3946, when you ask for an audit, then tell them so, and cite the decision which so states.  

Maybe someone else can explain concurrent receipt, that one escapes me.  

Bronco explained it well.  You need to check the date of the award.  They will go from that date, at the 100% rate, and then deduct the 80% rate, that they've already paid you, from that.  Remember that you don't receive payment, at the new rate, until the first full month has ended, which will be on the 1st of that following month, as bronco stated.