Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC-L with bumps to higher levels for add'l 50% & 100% ratings

Rate this question

HitemStraight

Question

If receiving SMC-L for loss of use of feet, and you have additional ratings above the 100% for the loss of use of feet, how far can "bumps" to L 1/2, M, M 1/2, N etc. go for add'l 50% and/or 100% ratings? (I know SMC-L plus additional 50% gets SMC-L 1/2; or SMC-L plus additional 100% gets SMC-M)

Is there a limit in "bumps", or do the "bumps" continue? (i.e. - L to L 1/2, to M, to M 1/2 to M 1/2 to N and so on, for add'l 50% or 100% ratings for each bump). Is is possible to continue bumps, or is there a limit to just one or two bumps in SMC levels?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

Advanced levels of SMC are above my pay grade, BUT, I will give it a shot.  

First of all:  Apply.  Let Them tell you, in writing, why you dont qualify.  If you dont like their reasons, appeal.  Of course, you could be suprisexd by getting benefits the first round, like TBird mentioned happened to her.  

There is a simple rule:  

If you apply, you may get benefits or you may get denied.  (But then you can appeal the denial).  

However, if you dont apply, you can be almost certain to never get any additional benefits.  Hint:  Apply and find out.  

All this said, VA does not allow "pyramiding".  You can get loss of use for your feet.  

And, you can get another SMC L for aid and attendance.  Further, there are different levels of A and A.  The lowest level, SMC L, basically means your care giver does not need a nurse degree.  If your care requires a nurse, that is a higher level (bump).  

You can also get SMC L for TWO 100 percent ratings.  

And, you can get smc for loss of use of other body parts, such as ED, (SMC K) as well as loss of use of other body organs (eyes, feet, hands, etc).  

If in doubt apply.  

For more specific information, read links below  and apply your health conditions to see if you think you qualify for more.  

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.350.  and

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.352

OR, consult with an attorney experienced in SMC.  Dont be suprised if VA employees or VSO's give you bad information.  Read it yourself.  

Edited by broncovet

• Founder

Filed a claim in feb 24, decision granting service connection came in may 24. Fastest claim I ever filed.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.