Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Too risky to try 100% schedular from TDIU?

Rate this question

hiker79

Question

Hi all,

I just got off the phone with a social worker and he suggested that I go back to the DAV and ask them to try for 100% schedular.  I'm currently at 70%, considered permanent and total, and get paid at 100% level TDIU, since about 2010.  They break it down like this:

Major Depressive Disorder - 70% SC

So I'm wondering if I should go to the DAV again and ask for 100% or should I leave well enough alone?  I certainly don't want to lose benefits.  I also have sleep apnea, proven by a sleep study the VA arranged and the social worker said that was an automatic 50% but I seem to think that the sleep apnea wouldn't factor in, since it isn't service connected.  Thanks for reading-

• Community Owner

Here are some good ones to throw at the VA

Sleep apnea, depression linked in Stanford study

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2003/11/sleep-apnea-depression-linked-in-stanford-study.htm

CDC study forges link between depression and sleep apnea

https://aasm.org/cdc-study-forges-link-between-depression-and-sleep-apnea/

NIH-Depression as a Manifestation of Obstructive Sleep Apnea

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5488552/

13 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Here are some good ones to throw at the VA

Thank you for that, I didn't know that depression was linked to sleep apnea, or vice versa.  I appreciate the links too. 

• HadIt.com Elder
3 hours ago, Rattler said:

Hears what I would do. I would file for sleep apnea secondary to Major Depressive Disorder. Unless you can relate it to an in-service event or treatment record. As stated above it could get you an extra 50% that would put you in a scheduler ratting.

"Major depressive disorder (MDD) and obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) are both common conditions that are linked in both directions. According to a 2022 CDC study, people with depression are nearly always associated with symptoms of OSA, such as gasping, snorting, or stopping breathing while sleeping. Other studies have found that people with depression are five times more likely to develop OSA than the general population and that up to 40% of people with depression have OSA. "

Which came first.  The chicken or the egg.  Depression or low night oxygen.  My depression has been relieved by night oxygen.

• Community Owner
On 7/6/2024 at 2:25 PM, Lemuel said:

My depression has been relieved by night oxygen.

• Community Owner

This doesn't apply to you Lem your too old. But I would not tell anyone that you are improving unless it's over 6 MO to a year. It will give the SSA and the VA an excuse to look at you if you are trying for an increase or when apply a secondary. I have seen where that happened and someone had told a rehab consoler or a treating VA Doc they have gotten a lot better when it was only a week or two improvement than back down hill.

Don't confuse this with applying for a new ratting and the false rummer that the VA will reduce you for applying for new benefits after you reach 100%

• HadIt.com Elder

I think I have been qualified for SMC-S since 2009 rating to 70% since my TDIU EED is 1985.  I have had about a year of SMC-t qualification and according to Haskell v McDonough argument by the VA GC, I will still be qualified because of the need for higher level care. 

The recommendation still stands that I move to assisted living with nursing medication care and sell my home to pay for it.  But I cannot take my dog.  So until he is gone, I will do with what I am getting.  Still feels good to be able to walk almost normal.  And because people see me doing that, I will not lie about it.  I still cannot lift my elbows above shoulder level or cook for myself.  Eat out of a can on the weekend when I do not have meals on wheels.  Mental safety is still my biggest problem.  Easily distracted so have to avoid them or situations where I might be distracted.

Just to clarify.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • jERRYMCK earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use