Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Hospital Injury

Rate this question

knoxcap

Question

Hope someone has knowledge. I have been getting treated at a VA hospital for many years pertaining to my back disability. I have a 20% disability. Pain management had been giving me different injections and treatments for 20 years. My last set of injections was last October. I really like my doctor and trusted him. He had another new doctor assisting him and I remember him telling the other doctor to apply the injection to the other side of my spine and how to do it, etc…. As a few months went on, I started having advanced problems to my right leg all the way down to my toes. I saw a personal doctor about the pain in my feet thinking that it was a foot problem. He said it was the back.  I was getting nauseated, whoosie, headaches and thumping in my ears and saw a personal doctor and he wasn’t sure, allergies. I finally couldn’t take the leg pain and got in to see my surgeon thru community care. He did a full work up and concluded we needed to go in and clean the arthritis around L3-S1. When he got in he luckily found a pinhole leaking spinal fluid on a nerve in my spine. The repair he had to do was extensive and painful. I’m two weeks post op and in extreme pain and numbness in my leg. I read the community care surgeons report and he listed the problem as incompetence. All the problems I was having was due to the leak. Should I say something to pain management? What direction should I go?

Thank you both for directing me on how this works. I didn’t know anything about a 1151 claim. Can this be done on my own or should an attorney be involved or even a VSO? 

Posted (edited)

You probably dont need an attorney to file 1151,  but this opinion is disputed by some, and with good reasons, too. If you dont object to paying 20 percent of future retro, then go ahead and get an attorney now.    My main reason for this is because you may just get some/all benefits without an appeal, tho, I agree there is a slim chance of that.  (Probably 10 percent or less).  Dont expect a  VSO's  help to help you with 1151, but, if they OFFER to file 1151, consider accepting their offer.  Your best bet, IMHO is to    Start with just filing a claim for increase, and or SMC S, as I explained.  

You may not have to prove VA did anything wrong.   Its just your symptoms worsened.  

You can find out how to file 1151 here (but again, I probably would wait until I had documented evidence of va malpractice, so get your file and read it, dont rely upon what your c and p examiner said.  

https://www.va.gov/disability/eligibility/special-claims/1151-claims-title-38/

If you claim is denied (either 1151 or regular), you can appeal, and, ask us again if its time to get an attorney.  

My favorite time to get an attorney is immediately after a BVA denial.  Why?  Because EAJA pretty much alsways pays legal fees to the CAVC.  I have hired attorneys on 3 seperate occassions and most of the fees were paid by eaja.  

Generally, you can represent yourself or use a vso at the VARO or the BVA.  If the board denies you, then get an attorney.  

Edited by broncovet

I would request the SC increase and do the 1151.  38 U.S. Code § 1151 - Benefits for persons disabled by treatment or vocational rehabilitation | U.S. Code | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)   I believe you can do it on your own.  Someone who used to post here won at least one and I believe maybe 1 or 2 more.  I believe she got settlements in addition to retro 100%, plus, for her late husband.  Or you can hire an atty.  jmo

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@knoxcap Another potential option is Federal Tort Claims Action (or FTCA). There is a whole forum dedicated to this. Some of the topics may be outdated, so please consider looking up the current criteria, laws, and regs.

https://community.hadit.com/forum/83-ftca-federal-tort-claims-action/

FTCAs are complex, involve a lot of laws, takes a very long time to complete, and might potentially offset some payments depending on the circumstances. The VA will either attempt to settle (you are not required to accept it) or deny. If you don't settle or get denied, you still can consider getting a personal injury lawyer to file a lawsuit.

Regarding pain management, I have been getting pain block spine injections for about 20 years. The first one was while I was awake and did nothing but make me suffer. I had one in my shoulder where the doc missed, I passed out cold because the doc missed the joint cavity which left me in physical therapy for months. Both of those were done outside the VA and before I was SC for my back. I got married and my wife worked in surgery at the local hospital. She told me to get one of her favorite docs to inject my back. When I showed up, he said that he never does spine injections unless the patient is properly sedated. For the first time in years, I was actually experiencing less pain. After getting my spine SC'd, the VA offered to do them. When I find out that they don't sedate, except in specific cases, I declined and kept going to experienced pain docs. When community care options came available, I leveraged that option to get referred to the very same doc I was doing.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

5 hours ago, Vync said:

@knoxcap Another potential option is Federal Tort Claims Action (or FTCA). There is a whole forum dedicated to this. Some of the topics may be outdated, so please consider looking up the current criteria, laws, and regs.

https://community.hadit.com/forum/83-ftca-federal-tort-claims-action/

FTCAs are complex, involve a lot of laws, takes a very long time to complete, and might potentially offset some payments depending on the circumstances. The VA will either attempt to settle (you are not required to accept it) or deny. If you don't settle or get denied, you still can consider getting a personal injury lawyer to file a lawsuit.

Regarding pain management, I have been getting pain block spine injections for about 20 years. The first one was while I was awake and did nothing but make me suffer. I had one in my shoulder where the doc missed, I passed out cold because the doc missed the joint cavity which left me in physical therapy for months. Both of those were done outside the VA and before I was SC for my back. I got married and my wife worked in surgery at the local hospital. She told me to get one of her favorite docs to inject my back. When I showed up, he said that he never does spine injections unless the patient is properly sedated. For the first time in years, I was actually experiencing less pain. After getting my spine SC'd, the VA offered to do them. When I find out that they don't sedate, except in specific cases, I declined and kept going to experienced pain docs. When community care options came available, I leveraged that option to get referred to the very same doc I was doing.

Oh wow! THATS a lot to go through! I’m glad your wife could direct you to some knowledgeable doctors. I have found irresponsible doctors and great doctors on each side but since my back was through VA initially, I stayed there for the convenience of the team I knew. Thinking back, it was probably not always the smartest move. I know VA docs hands are tied in some things. Now I think I’ll stay at community care. The VA doctors during injections would give something to relax me but I was told they couldn’t put you out because they needed to have you awake enough to know if there was an issue injecting you. One particular time a doctor was injecting me in my spine and it hurt so bad that I told the doctor “when I am able to get off this bed I’m gonna smack you!”  I’m only 4’11” but by the look on everyone’s faces they took me at my word. 

I’m not sure I’ll go the tort direction yet. Seems very complicated and not sure I want that fight right now. I’ll have to keep thinking on it and seeing that there is a 2 year time limit, makes the time short. 

Thank you for the information. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@knoxcap If I recall from memory, I think the FTCA two year clock may also start from the time you became aware of the option. However, you might want to look that up directly. 

Sometimes when they give you light sedation with verset and/or propophol, they might not give you enough and you might be half awake. 

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.