Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD CLAIM RELATED:

Rate this question

dennis simpson

Question

I am a Vetnam Veteran having served with the Third Marine Amphibious Force - 2ND Cag - CAP UNITS IN Vietnam. I was an 0311 rifleman,and was acting point man with another in rotation for my entire tour in Vietnam. WE LIVED IN THE HAMLETS AND VILLAGES of Vietnam and rarely got to see any base's at all. I am a Purple Heart recipient and spent 18 days on the USS Sanctuary Naval Hospital Ship recovering from my wounds midway through my tour. 

In relation to the criteria I have supplied below, My question is this. I have till August 8th to file a claim before the year has expired upon an intent to file that I did. However that intent to file was for ongoing health issues I have with my heart disease, and this PTSD Issue wasn't even on the board at that time. I am currently rated 60% disabled with Ischemic heart disease, due to Agent Orange Exposure. There may be other claims related around my heart once all the testing is in. But this SUBMISSION FOR ANSWERS is related to the PTSD only. My question is as follows:

Should I wait forth the therapy to begin on my PTSD or go ahead and file now before the August 8th Deadline. I could get a year's worth of back pay if I am successful and get rated with PTSD. However, risking denial is not something I want to risk. I truly am experiencing issues of everything you read below, and recently quit working because I can no longer cope with it. I have been told that the diagnosis which a VA PSYCHOLOGIST Gave me was provisional only, and that I should give it four or five months, go to therapy, and then file. This was one VSO who told me to wait. Another said file now. The provisional only statement came from a doctor at the VA Hospital who quickly read over a few things, but she was with the anesthesia department and how she got this assessment I do not know.

Based on what you read below with several things in bold letters to draw your attention to; SHOULD I GO AHEAD AND FILE OR WAIT?

I HOPE SOMEONE ON THIS SITE CAN ADD THEIR OWN EXPERIENCE WITH THIS AND OFFER SOME SOUND ADVISE

This is the VA PSYCHOLOGIST'S notes in my final of 3 sessions with her before she forwarded me to therapy:

Veteran's goals for change (written prescription of next steps): 1. Continue engaging in activities that are usually avoided Handouts given:

BTT Session 3 Handout Follow up: in TRP Details:

[x] Informed consent: I have discussed PCT treatment with veteran and veteran expresses understanding that, should they choose to accept this direct referral and then change their mind about PTSD treatment, it will significantly delay their access to a BHIP generalist therapist.

PTSD verified by: [x] Clinical Interview/Symptom Review in Session

[x] PCL Score: 60 [ ] Service Connected Disability: Primary Trauma Issue:

[x] Combat [ ] MST [ ] Other: Current PTSD Sx:

[x] Intrusive Memories [x] Nightmares [ ] Dissociative Reactions [x] Psychological distress upon exposure to trauma cues

[x] Physiological distress upon exposure to trauma cues [x] Persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with trauma events [x] Negative alterations in cognitions or mood [x] Sleep Disturbance [ ] Irritability [x] Hypervigilance Previous Treatment with PCT or Exposure Therapy: Has Veteran ever been diagnosed with or met criteria for a substance use disorder in their lifetime? [x] No [ ] Yes 

COMPLETED SIMPSON, DENNIS

I have read, edited, and approve this therapist's note and agree with the assessment, intervention, and plan unless otherwise noted. I am the supervisor of record. I was not present in today's session, but was available for immediate consultation. This provider and I meet regularly to review cases. Any changes or additions to the parent note will be noted in this addendum. The session today focused on: BTT Session 3 Plan: TRP referral /es/ A. Rodgers Ph.D. HSPP CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGIST Signed: 05/14/2024 07:21

This is the Social Workers remarks in the phone call which was to have him anaylize  me and give the go ahead on therapy she recommended:

[Patient recently completed Brief Trauma Treatment through PCMHI and would like to continue that work in the Trauma Recovery Program. Notes symptoms of SIMPSON, HOWARD DENNIS Date of Birth: 22 Feb 1952 Page 26 of 55 depression and anxiety which he feels are connected to past trauma from his tour in Vietnam. Denies any legal, spiritual, financial or substance-related concerns. Consult placed for TRP per patient's request. Denies any SI/HI. Discussed with Veteran that our clinic uses team-based care for treatment, an episodes of care model for psychotherapy with an average therapy lasting 8-15 sessions, and shared decision-making to determine goals for treatment. Advised that group therapies and peer support services are also available.]

Next on August 21st I will be in a phone call which an hour orientation to the upcoming therapy. After hat the sessions will begin.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

No, your VSO was a idiot, and I don't say that lightly. Preserve your date of claim. Im not a rater, but what you have posted, if it can be supported in any way from your Service records etc, paired with the not working/can't work aspect, looks to be a strong claim. I would, of course, still continue forward with therapy. You can send new evidence up to a claim being rated so If it takes a while keep sending your notes if you have private notes- if they are VAMC they will be pulled one last time before your claim goes to rating. 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

Believe me I don't think any veteran likes or even want to go through the appeal process. You posted that you are a Purple Heart Recipient, with that said I do not understand the wait in filing a claim now. Your records along with your DD 214 should be proof enough and it is just a matter of time. Depending on your actual mental health rating, it could add up very fast and help you out financially. So why wait? A lot of VSOs tell veterans to wait to file their claims and in a lot of cases, this really does not help the veteran. I would say that that is bad advice. 

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• HadIt.com Elder

Over the next two weeks, I am going through the updated 38 CFR Chapter 4 listings of ratings for service connected conditions.

There are a lot of new diagnoses that I never even new existed.  Must be related to PACACT.  I will look everything I am not familiar with and if I have the symptoms, I will put in a PACACT claim for the condition.

Suggest you get that PTSD claim in.  And more if warranted.  I will be at the BVA within a couple of weeks with a "shotgun" appeal.  Had a previous BVA Decision that did some "shotgun" remands of which only one has been decided.  That was a claim for extra-schedular TDIU from a claim that was not developed in 1987.  The EED granted on that TDIU claim was in 1985, more than 2 years earlier than the claim.

Some shotguns bring down big birds.  Relate that incident to representative who do not want to do the shotgun approach.  PACACT itself is shotgun.  Being poisoned by Agent Orange does not just affect one organ.

• HadIt.com Elder

Over the next two weeks, I am going through the updated 38 CFR Chapter 4 listings of ratings for service-connected conditions.

There are a lot of new diagnoses that I never even new existed.  Must be related to PACACT.  I will look everything I am not familiar with and if I have the symptoms, I will put in a PACACT claim for the condition.

Suggest you get that PTSD claim in.  And more if warranted.  I will be at the BVA within a couple of weeks with a "shotgun" appeal.  Had a previous BVA Decision that did some "shotgun" remands of which only one has been decided.  That was a claim for extra-schedular TDIU from a claim that was not developed in 1987.  The EED granted on that TDIU claim was in 1985, more than 2 years earlier than the claim.

Some shotguns bring down big birds.  Relate that incident to representative who do not want to do the shotgun approach.  PACACT itself is shotgun.  Being poisoned by Agent Orange does not just affect one organ.