Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

"If" you have been denied based on your discharge, read this: (Effective June 25, 2024)

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2024/04/26/2024-09012/update-and-clarify-regulatory-bars-to-benefits-based-on-character-of-discharge

This may help some Veterans who were given "bad paper" based on what should have been Service connection for PTSD!!!!!

Effective date: This final rule is effective June 25, 2024.

The revisions and additions read as follows:

Benefit eligibility based on character of discharge.

(a) General rule. If the former service member did not die in service, then pension, compensation, or dependency and indemnity compensation is payable for claims based on a period of service that was terminated by discharge or release under conditions other than dishonorable. (38 U.S.C. 101(2)) A discharge under honorable conditions is binding on the Department of Veterans Affairs as to character of discharge.

(b) Insanity exception. No bar to benefits under this section shall be applied if VA determines that the former service member was insane at the time he or she committed the offense(s) leading to the discharge or release under dishonorable conditions. (38 U.S.C. 5303(b)) Insanity is defined in § 3.354.

(c) Statutory bars to benefits. Benefits are not payable where the former service member was discharged or released under one of the following conditions:

(1) As a conscientious objector who refused to perform military duty, wear the uniform, or comply with lawful orders of competent military authorities.

(6) By reason of a discharge under other than honorable conditions issued as a result of an absence without official leave (AWOL) for a continuous period of at least 180 days (38 U.S.C. 5303(a)).

(i) Compelling circumstances exception. This paragraph (c)(6) does not apply if compelling circumstances mitigate the prolonged unauthorized absence, as discussed in paragraph (e) of this section.

(ii) Applicability prior to October 8, 1977. This paragraph (c)(6) applies to any person awarded an honorable or general discharge prior to October 8, 1977, under one of the programs listed in paragraph (i) of this section, and to any person who prior to October 8, 1977, had not otherwise established basic eligibility to receive Department of Veterans Affairs benefits. Basic eligibility for purposes of this paragraph (c)(6)(ii) means either a Department of Veterans Affairs determination that an other than honorable discharge was issued under conditions other than dishonorable, or an upgraded honorable or general discharge issued prior to October 8, 1977, under criteria other than those prescribed by one of the programs listed in paragraph (i) of this section. However, if a person was discharged or released by reason of the sentence of a general court-martial, only a finding of insanity (paragraph (b) of this section) or a decision of a board of correction of records established under 10 U.S.C. 1552 can establish basic eligibility to receive Department of Veterans Affairs benefits.

(d) Regulatory bars to benefits. Benefits are not payable where the former service member was discharged or released under one of the conditions listed in paragraph (d)(1) or (2) of this section.

(1) Compelling circumstances exception is not applicable for:

(i) Discharge in lieu of trial. Acceptance of a discharge under other than honorable conditions or its equivalent in lieu of trial by general court-martial.

(ii) Mutiny or espionage. Mutiny or spying.

(2) Compelling circumstances exception is applicable for:

(i) An offense involving moral turpitude. This paragraph (d)(2)(i) includes, generally, conviction of a felony.

(ii) Willful and persistent misconduct. For purposes of this section, instances of minor misconduct occurring within two years of each other are persistent; an instance of minor misconduct occurring within two years of more serious misconduct is persistent; and instances of more serious misconduct occurring within five years of each other are persistent. For purposes of this section, minor misconduct is misconduct for which the maximum sentence imposable pursuant to the Manual for Courts-Martial United States would not include a dishonorable discharge or confinement for longer than one year if tried by general court-martial.

(e) Compelling circumstances exception. The bar to benefits for prolonged AWOL under paragraph (c)(6) of this section and the two types of misconduct described in paragraph (d)(2) of this section will not be applied if compelling circumstances mitigate the AWOL or misconduct at issue. The following factors will be considered in a determination on this matter:

(1) Length and character of service exclusive of the period of prolonged AWOL or misconduct. Service exclusive of the period of prolonged AWOL or misconduct should generally be of such quality and length that it can be characterized as honest, faithful, and meritorious and of benefit to the Nation.

(2) Reasons for prolonged AWOL or misconduct. Factors considered are as follows:

(i) Mental or cognitive impairment at the time of the prolonged AWOL or misconduct, to include but not limited to a clinical diagnosis of (or evidence that could later be medically determined to demonstrate existence of) posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, substance use disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), impulsive behavior, or cognitive disabilities.

(ii) Physical health, to include physical trauma and any side effects of medication.

(iii) Combat-related or overseas-related hardship.

(iv) Sexual abuse/assault.

(v) Duress, coercion, or desperation.

(vi) Family obligations or comparable obligations to third parties.

(vii) Age, education, cultural background, and judgmental maturity.

(3) Whether a valid legal defense would have precluded a conviction for AWOL or misconduct under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. For purposes of this paragraph (e)(3), the defense must go directly to the substantive issue of absence or misconduct rather than to procedures, technicalities, or formalities.

(f) Board of corrections upgrade. * * *

(g) Discharge review board upgrades prior to October 8, 1977. An honorable or general discharge issued prior to October 8, 1977, under authority other than that listed in paragraphs (i)(1) through (3) of this section by a discharge review board established under 10 U.S.C. 1553, sets aside any bar to benefits imposed under paragraph (c) or (d) of this section except the bar contained in paragraph (c)(2) of this section.

(h) Discharge review board upgrades on or after October 8, 1977. An honorable or general discharge issued on or after October 8, 1977, by a discharge review board established under 10 U.S.C. 1553, sets aside a bar to benefits imposed under paragraph (d) of this section, but not under paragraph (c) of this section, provided that:

(i) Special review board upgrades. Under 38 U.S.C. 5303(e), unless a discharge review board established under 10 U.S.C. 1553 determines on an individual case basis that the discharge would be upgraded under uniform standards meeting the requirements set forth in paragraph (h) of this section, an honorable or general discharge awarded under one of the following programs does not remove any bar to benefits imposed under this section:

(j) Overpayments after October 8, 1977, due to discharge review board upgrades. No overpayments shall be created as a result of payments made after October 8, 1977, based on an upgraded honorable or general discharge issued under one of the programs listed in paragraph (i) of this section which would not be awarded under the standards set forth in paragraph (h) of this section. Accounts in payment status on or after October 8, 1977, shall be terminated the end of the month in which it is determined that the original other than honorable discharge was not issued under conditions other than dishonorable following notice from the appropriate discharge review board that the discharge would not have been upgraded under the standards set forth in paragraph (h) of this section, or April 7, 1978, whichever is the earliest. Accounts in suspense (either before or after October 8, 1977) shall be terminated on the date of last payment or April 7, 1978, whichever is the earliest.

(k) Overpayments after October 8, 1977, based on application of AWOL statutory bar. * * *

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 101, 501, and 5303)

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

1 answer to this question

• Founder

Veterans Affairs Update on Character of Discharge Regulations.png

Department of Veterans Affairs: Update on Character of Discharge Regulations

Overview

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has finalized amendments to the regulations concerning the character of discharge (COD) determinations, impacting veterans' eligibility for benefits. These changes aim to expand eligibility, ensure consistency in adjudications, and consider all pertinent factors in COD determinations.

Key Changes

• Effective Date: The new rules will take effect on June 25, 2024, and apply to all benefit applications received or pending as of that date.
  • Regulatory Bars: The VA has reduced the number of regulatory bars to benefits from five to four, focusing on:
    • Acceptance of a discharge under conditions other than honorable in lieu of trial by general court-martial.
    • Mutiny or spying.
    • Moral turpitude.
    • Willful and persistent misconduct.
  • Compelling Circumstances Exception: This exception has been expanded to allow for a more holistic review of a veteran's service, considering factors such as mental and physical health, combat-related hardships, and personal circumstances.

Historical Context

• The term "conditions other than dishonorable" was established by Congress in 1944 to give the VA discretion in determining veteran status and eligibility for benefits.
  • The last major update to these regulations occurred in 1980.

Public Feedback and VA's Response

• Public Comments: Over 70 comments were received on the proposed rule changes, prompting a Request for Information (RFI) and a two-day listening session.
  • Concerns Addressed: The VA considered concerns about military discipline and the impact of removing regulatory bars on maintaining order among troops. The final rule aims to balance these concerns with the need to provide benefits to veterans whose service, despite some misconduct, was overall beneficial to the nation.

Implementation and Impact

• Eligibility Expansion: The changes are expected to increase the number of veterans eligible for benefits by considering the broader context of their service and any mitigating circumstances.
  • Case-by-Case Analysis: The VA will conduct a case-by-case analysis for COD determinations, ensuring that decisions are fair and consider all relevant factors.

Additional Information

• Contact: For further details, veterans can contact Robert Parks, Chief of Part 3 Regulations Staff, Compensation Service, Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • Documentation: Transcripts from the public listening sessions and additional regulatory details are available on the VA's official website.

This update reflects the VA's commitment to providing fair and equitable access to benefits for veterans, acknowledging the complexities of military service and the diverse circumstances that can affect a service member's discharge status.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.