Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Special Alert

Rate this question

spike

Question

I know this is going to disturb a lot of people. But I guess I should inform everyone. I spoke to a very reliable VSR at the RO in Buffalo named Skip. He indicated that with everything going on and the whole direction of the Vets who are from 9/11 and Persian Gulf are Priority #1. Direction has come very recently internally to VSRs from "HEAD BOSSES" that they are to rate claims of Vets after 9/11 and then DIC claims, then others.

-Spike-

Vet Advocate

--------------

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

So what may be the case is that those who have had claims going on from prior to 9/11 are just thrown to the back of the line once more. How Nice. ;)

[font=Verdana]

Joseph Hertrich (Josh)

Cartagena Colombia

Boulder Colorado

I have sympathy for all vets, but if this is true its because of all of the political fallout from the 2 reporters uncovering the Walter Reed issue. We all will be partial to our wars, but it is only fair to rate in order of applying. I do agree with the one point here of pushing back the bullshit claims. If I hadn`t been lucky and had my claim rated recently, and might I mention it was completed in a very timely manner, I would speak with an attorney about discrimination. Many older vets like myself were ignorant of the system of filing for our disabilities and went years suffering before we filed. Today, because of the internet vets are filing the week they get out because they are being informed.

Cavman

Are you guys asleep at the wheel, this has been policy for a while

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8946&hl=

March 26, 2003

VBA Letter 20-03-11 http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/Admin20/LETTERS/vba03_11.doc

Director (00)

All VA Regional Offices and Centers

SUBJ: Operation Enduring Freedom & Operation Iraqi Freedom

This letter provides outreach and processing procedures for claims submitted as a result of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom. Included are instructions for:

§ Obtaining benefits claims from service members, veterans, and survivors.

§ Physically and electronically identifying pending and completed Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom disability claims.

§ Managing and adjudicating disability and death claims.

§ Providing additional benefits and services as required.

September 23, 2003

VBA Letter 20-03-36 http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/Admin20/LETTERS/vba03_36.doc

Director (00)

All VA Regional Offices and Centers

Purpose

This letter provides information and instructions for outreach and claims processing procedures for casualties resulting from Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom (OEF/OIF). VBA Letter 20-03-11 dated March 26, 2003, provided initial information on processing claims from OEF/OIF service members and veterans. Since the letter was issued, the need to manage the cases of seriously disabled service members and veterans has become more apparent. VBA and VHA have developed case management procedures to provide seriously disabled (wounded, injured or ill) service members with a seamless transition to veteran status. VBA Letter 20-03-11 is rescinded and replaced by this letter.

March 8, 2005

VBA Letter 20-05-14 http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/Admin20/LETTERS/vba05_14.DOC

Director (00)

All VA Regional Offices

Purpose

This letter provides updated information and instructions for outreach and claims processing procedures for casualties resulting from Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom (OEF/OIF). VBA Letter 20-03-36, dated September 23, 2003, provided information on outreach, coordination, and claims processing for OEF/OIF service members and veterans. Since the letter was issued, the need to clarify and provide more detailed information on the management of cases of seriously disabled service members and veterans has become more apparent. VBA Letter 20-03-36 is rescinded and replaced by this letter.

What about me, what about us we get to go to the back of the bus and wait more years for our claims to be settled.

NEWS FROM THE RANKING MEMBER OF THE U.S. SENATE COMMITTEE ON VETERANS’ AFFAIRS

CRAIG ENCOURAGES VETERANS TO CONTACT DOLE/SHALALA PANEL

New website and contact information launched

March 16, 2007

Media contact: Jeff Schrade (202)224-9093

( Washington , DC ) U.S. Senator Larry Craig, the top Republican on the Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, is encouraging veterans and their family members with concerns about VA and military health care to contact a new task force established by VA Secretary Jim Nicholson.

"The purpose of that panel is to identify problems so that we can take action to fix the identified problems," Craig said. "The panel is only going to be operational for approximately 45 days, so it is important that people with concerns act quickly. Of course, the Senate committee I serve on will continue its oversight of VA operations long after the presidential panel completes its report."

People can email their comments to the panel at TFHeroes@va.gov or fax comments to 202-273-9599. Task Force information and mailing address can be obtained on the VA home page, www.va.gov/taskforce.

On Thursday Sen. Craig met the Co-Chairs of the President's Commission on Care for America 's Returning Wounded Warriors, which is led by retired U.S. Senator Bob Dole and Donna Shalala. She served as the U.S. Secretary for Health and Human Services during the Clinton administration.

"We are all committed to improving the lives of all injured servicemembers. The main objective is to see that our service wounded members receive the finest care available," Craig said.

According to VA officials, comments veterans make will be studied by the task force, used in the panel’s evaluation of gaps in service and form the basis of recommended solutions. In addition to Senator Dole and Secretary Shalala, other members include:

* Marc Giammatteo, a former U.S. Army captain whose leg was severely injured during an attack in Iraq . He has undergone more than 30 surgeries at Walter Reed.

* Jose Ramos, a student at George Mason University . While in the Navy, he treated soldiers injured in Iraq . In 2004, during his second tour of duty in Iraq , he lost an arm in combat.

* Tammy Edwards, a research assistant at the Geneva Foundation. In 2005, her husband was severely burned in Iraq when a 500-pound bomb exploded under his vehicle.

* Kenneth Fisher, chairman of the Fisher House Foundation, a nonprofit that builds "Fisher Homes" for families of hospitalized veterans.

* Dr. C. Martin Harris, a medical doctor who has served on other government and private commissions that have examined health care problems.

* Edward Eckenhoff, a leader president of the National Rehabilitation Hospital .

* Dr. Gail Wilensky, an economist and senior fellow at Project HOPE. She was Administrator of the Health Care Financing Administration from 1990-92, during the senior President Bush’ administration

That panel will complete its work on June 29. Related information: President Bush Meets with the President's Commission on Care for America's Returning Wounded Warriors

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then, the Department of Veterans Affairs, the object of several recent investigations, epitomizes more unlearned lessons. The head of the VA is a political appointee; thus, VA officials typically echo what the White House stance is and not necessarily act as vigorous advocates for veterans’ interests (Max Cleland was a notable exception)…another unlearned lesson. When a “new” war is being conducted, veterans of prior wars, their families and programs are pushed to the bottom of the priority list. In the midst of the emotionally charged climate to support our forces in harm’s way, perhaps this is somewhat understandable---understandable, but absolutely not acceptable.

SO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT WRITE BOB DOLE, TELL HIM HOW THIS IS SPLITING THE VETERANS COMMUNITY. OR SIT BACK AND DO NOTHING AND COMPLAIN WHEN YOUR CASE TAKES 5 YEARS TO GET RATED. 20 YEARS FROM NOW YOU WILL BE A STORY IN THE DAV MAGAZINE HOW THE DAV HELPED YOU GET BENEFITS AFTER 20 YEARS

Betrayed

540% SC Schedular P&T

LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND THE VA WILL MEET THEM !!!

WEBMASTER BETRAYEDVETERAN.COM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You hit the street, you feel them staring you know they hate you you can feel their eyes a glarin'

Because you're different, because you're free, because you're everything deep down they wish they could be.

• HadIt.com Elder

If the VA is allowed to chip away at any kind of claim they will continue to reduce compensation until they get to the more serious claims. If there is no great protest they will reduce those as well.

• HadIt.com Elder

In the past when the VA was under the gun they would award all the easy claims. I would imagine that recently discharged Veterans would mostly have easy claims.

I claim for HB has moved like lightening but it is now in the ratings pit and I guess I will find out how long it is taking.

I don't consider a claim done till I see the check and I don't need to NOD it.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Josh,

Don't worry too much about it...there IS some good news: Even if we older-claim vets are put back in the line somewhere, I believe the VA will still "expedite" cases that (1) are older than one year or (2) the vet is 70 years of age or older! I am referring to the Tiger Team people (VARO Cleveland, OH) which was created to deal with such cases in an "expeditious manner."

That is, of course, if they still are using Tiger Team now and it WILL be in existence in the future when we all hit 70.

So we will just have to wait until our "Golden Years."

;-)

-- John D.

Edited by cloudcroft

70% TDIU/P&T

Army - RVN - 1969-70 (10th Cav/4th ID, II Corps RVN)

USCG - Galveston, TX - 1976-78 (USCGC Valiant, WMEC 621)