Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Denied My Sc Heart Condition!

Rate this question

bm6546

Question

Well, 2 weeks ago I received a letter from the VA that they denied my claim for my heart condition. I have been SC for my heart for over 40 years. Since 1966. Although I did have a heart attack over a year ago and have not worked since. I was approved for SSDI last July. I was extremely disapointed when the VA turned me down and wanted to just say to hell with it. My VSO and my VA Psychiatrist talked me into filing a NOD for anxiety disorder, depression and PTSD as secondary conditions to my service connected heart condition. I am just tired of explaining it every time to someone new. I would really like to forget about it and for people to leave me alone. I am very pleased with my VA social worker and VA Psychiatrist. But I have to keep talking about it and I really don't want to. I also feel the VA is laughing at me and doesn't want to help me. Sorry to ramble on. I'm not sure if this post is even appropriate. I'm sorry if I am out of order. I guess its just frustration and my way to vent. Thanks, Brian

I've waited this long and I'm not giving up....NEVER!!

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have a similar type problem I filed for SC for heart disease either secondary to PTSD or either directly caused by exposure to 77 toxic chemicals at Edgewood Arsenal in 1974 while I was in the medical research unit. The LSD experiments among others, I am in my 5th year of appeals, the VARO wants you to quit, you may have to appeal it to BVA in order to get the remand to make them address it, then the VARO may deny it again then you will have to appeal again to the BVA then you might get the SC you are seeking, if you quit you won't get it and you and your family are the ones without the benefits, the VARO employees don't care and neither does your SO. I am not giving up

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

BM - I am just a little confused. You started your post and said you had been SC'ed for your heart for over 40 years and then you said the VA just denied SC for your heart condition. Could you pleas clarify? I am sure someone on here can help you with this. Also what were the reasons for the denial if you don't mind posting them.

• HadIt.com Elder

Brian:

If you are already service connected for heart condition and now Social Security has granted you SSD for Heart you should have a slam dunk for 100%.

If you are able you should ask for a Hearing with a Decision Review Officer and sit down and let them explain why they did not grant.If you can get something from your Doc that says you are suffering from heart condition that will not let you work from a Service Connected COndition they have to give it to you.

Good Luck and don't give up. You earned the benefits.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you continue to appeal and provide new evidence to the VA you will win your claim eventually. This has happened time and time again here on Hadit. Many who do get their correct rating go on their way and you never hear from them again, but there have been many.

Hello Brian, you have come to the right place for help, first rate information, empathy, and understanding. I agree with Pete 53 in that you should not give up. I know it is frustrating dealing with a huge and perhaps out of control bureauracracy (I hope I spelled that word correctly) such as the VA. But do not give up...isn't that what the powers that be want? Don't give 'em what they want. Hang in there. Holli

• HadIt.com Elder

This seems really odd to me. If you have an SC'd heart condition for 40 years, they cannot deny SC now, unless they were able to prove fraud.

You would also think that since heart disease is almost always progressive, (regardless of why), the VA, is in all reason, required to upgrade the disability as the condition progresses.

If you are claiming other things related to aggrivated, or caused by heart disease, I can sort of understand, but not agree with the VAs denial.

Well, 2 weeks ago I received a letter from the VA that they denied my claim for my heart condition. I have been SC for my heart for over 40 years. Since 1966. Although I did have a heart attack over a year ago and have not worked since. I was approved for SSDI last July. I was extremely disapointed when the VA turned me down and wanted to just say to hell with it. My VSO and my VA Psychiatrist talked me into filing a NOD for anxiety disorder, depression and PTSD as secondary conditions to my service connected heart condition. I am just tired of explaining it every time to someone new. I would really like to forget about it and for people to leave me alone. I am very pleased with my VA social worker and VA Psychiatrist. But I have to keep talking about it and I really don't want to. I also feel the VA is laughing at me and doesn't want to help me. Sorry to ramble on. I'm not sure if this post is even appropriate. I'm sorry if I am out of order. I guess its just frustration and my way to vent. Thanks, Brian