• donate-be-a-hero.png

Moved Post From Willy

Rate this question

jbasser

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Today, 08:51 PM IP: 24.3.113.110 | Post #2 |

Recruit

I HAVE BEEN SCREWED OVER AND OVER BY THE VA FOR MY PTSD CLAIM. IT IS NOW ON APPEAL WITH THE DRO NOW. I RECEIVED A DIAGNOSIS 2 MONTHS AFTER BEING DISCHARGED AS HAVING PTSD BY A PRIVATE PSYCHIATRIST FOR THE NUMEROUS IED AMBUSHES I WAS IN AS WELL AS THE FULL BLOWN COMBAT THAT I EXPERIENCED DURING THE BATTLE OF FALLUJAH(OPERATION AL FAJR). SO FAR THE VA HAS ONLY SCREWED ME OVER EVEN THOUGH I HAVE BEEN IN TREATMENT AT THE VA HOSPITAL FOR THESE PROBLEMS GOING ON OVER A YEAR NOW AND NUMEROUS MEDICATIONS LATER. IS THERE ANYTHING THAT I CAN DO TO STOP HAVING TO TELL MY HEART WRENCHING STORIES TO A BUNCH OF DESK JOCKEYS? I WAS PROUD TO SERVE MY COUNTRY EVEN WITH THE TOLL IT HAD TAKEN ON ME AND MY FAMILY, THAT IS BEFORE I WENT TO THE VA FOR HELP. I SPENT LAST WINTER IN A HOUSE WITH NO HEAT AND RUNNING WATER BECAUSE I WAS UNABLE TO FUNCTION INDEPENDENTLY. WILL THIS EVER STOP? THEY HAD THE AUDACITY TO TELL ME WHAT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH IS NOT A SO CALLED STRESSOR EVEN TOUGH I WAS AWARDED A CAR AND A NAVY COM FOR MY ACTIONS IN COMBAT. DO THESE GUYS WANT ANOTHER DEAD COMBAT VET?

Full Edit

Quick Edit

Posts in this topic

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Willy3521,

I wanted to speak with you directly after reading your words. Today, I was told very impersonally that I wont be walking a year from now... the Doctor wasn't being a bad doc, but she had bad news and she chose to "distance" herself from it. Now, I know that it seems that the VA is screwing you over, and honestly that is what is happening, but all of us have gone thru this mess too. All of us have had to spill out guts, again and again and again, to the point that its become a "story", rather than real life... no I am not saying I lie, just that I have become as dissasociated with the facts as the doctors... until something like today happens and its friggin duck and cover time ya know?

Let me ask a few simple questions if I may... when and where EXACTLY were your claims filed. Were they filed FOR you by a "Tiger Team" on base, or in port prior to your discharge? Did you ever elect to have any veterans organization represent you like Disabled American veterans, Or Veterans of Foreign Wars?... I know that this may seem hazy since they were probably running you from one appointment to the next.

Have you spoken with you local STATE veterans affairs representative? Have you spoken with ANY VA rep SINCE you filed your claim. What EXACTLY if you can remember did you file for?

What is your state and city (not absolutly necessary if you dont want to tell for privacy) in which you CURRENTLY reside? How long have you lived there? When EXACTLY WHAT DATE WAS STAMPED ON THE DECISION..... and exactly which office (meaning where) did it come from.

Some of these questions you have already answered, but I want you to really think about them and give me as detailed as an answer as you can. Let me tell you this can be fixed OK? The VA is understaffed and really starting to hit a training crisis as well, so claims like this are occuring. You are a HERO buddy. You are someone I want MY kid to grow up and respect for the contribution they have made. Howevere, some clerk in a huge office with compensation files piled EVERYWHERE, mishandled your claim. Sadly it seems to be more the norm now than it was even just 2 or 3 years ago. What you need to understand is that the little file you just got from the VA doesnt mean diddly... It has NOTHING to say about how good a warrior you were, and still are. Yeah, just like today's speech from teh doctor, it was a kick in the gonads... but dont let it eat at you guy. To a greater or lessor extent we have ALL been there, not necessairily the combat but the demeaning aspect of the ratings system. Look, I was put out WITHOUT a retirement from the ARMY (Who is currently under investigation for that crap, as well as the other branches, but the Army with the biggest probe - and I hope the investigators forget to use KY... I really do)... anyway the Army rated me at a whole 20%... the First VA rating was 40%... the last one was 170% (schedular though you prolly dont know what that means)... in all that time, not one thing changed really... oh I had a worsening in my left leg but at that time I was already above 100%... so...

This too shall pass. You will get the compensation you deserve... but ya want to know what the biggest reason most people dont get their just compensation... in my opinion? They quit. they give up. they say "scr*w it, I not gonna mess with this any more"... after the C&P exams on Friday at 8 or 9PM, or Saturday morning at 5:30 am.... and those weren't intentional?.... Man while we all have differing opinions as to WHY the VA is having problems, it seems that we all agree that right now they are, and again in my own opinion, worse than any othet time I have seen.... so... while we CAN help, and we are HERE to help... you gotta ride the wave... your the one who has to do these appointments again and again.... and spill you guts again and again...

Honestly guy, these psychiatrists who are doing the C&P are not there to treat you... they are there to analyze you and it always makes me feel like a bug under glass... (sigh)...

I know this has been long, but what I wanted to say was.. we know.. we understand.. you are brave, you are a warrior, and no injury can take that from you.. so you must adapt to a new battle-field... thats all, but understand that no Man or Women can make you feel less than you are.... unless you allow them too (Eleanor Roosevelt)- Hell of a Lady

Email me and I'll give you my phone number if youd like and we can discuss this process and how and why things are done like they are... are maybe what you need to do next.... and I suggest that you start reading CFR 38, and M21-1... your good with manuals right?... Well big suprise here are two you HAVE to read, or at least read MOST of...

you can find them either by an internet search or under www.va.gov

I am,

sixthscents@twlakes.net

sixthscents@hotmail.com

and sometimes even

Bob Smith

Bob Smith

• HadIt.com Elder

I hate to say this -- but my impression of the VA Secretary's recent statements, and actions concerning the Navy veterans in the A O related court cases makes me believe that there may be a bias against Navy veterans. In past years, this bias seemed to be evident in veterans organizations as well. Originally, it had to do with the Army and "hand to hand" combat and WWII veterans. I'd ask Berta if this sort of thing might be "CUE"able.

Today, 08:51 PM IP: 24.3.113.110 | Post #2 |

Recruit

I HAVE BEEN SCREWED OVER AND OVER BY THE VA FOR MY PTSD CLAIM. IT IS NOW ON APPEAL WITH THE DRO NOW. I RECEIVED A DIAGNOSIS 2 MONTHS AFTER BEING DISCHARGED AS HAVING PTSD BY A PRIVATE PSYCHIATRIST FOR THE NUMEROUS IED AMBUSHES I WAS IN AS WELL AS THE FULL BLOWN COMBAT THAT I EXPERIENCED DURING THE BATTLE OF FALLUJAH(OPERATION AL FAJR). SO FAR THE VA HAS ONLY SCREWED ME OVER EVEN THOUGH I HAVE BEEN IN TREATMENT AT THE VA HOSPITAL FOR THESE PROBLEMS GOING ON OVER A YEAR NOW AND NUMEROUS MEDICATIONS LATER. IS THERE ANYTHING THAT I CAN DO TO STOP HAVING TO TELL MY HEART WRENCHING STORIES TO A BUNCH OF DESK JOCKEYS? I WAS PROUD TO SERVE MY COUNTRY EVEN WITH THE TOLL IT HAD TAKEN ON ME AND MY FAMILY, THAT IS BEFORE I WENT TO THE VA FOR HELP. I SPENT LAST WINTER IN A HOUSE WITH NO HEAT AND RUNNING WATER BECAUSE I WAS UNABLE TO FUNCTION INDEPENDENTLY. WILL THIS EVER STOP? THEY HAD THE AUDACITY TO TELL ME WHAT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH IS NOT A SO CALLED STRESSOR EVEN TOUGH I WAS AWARDED A CAR AND A NAVY COM FOR MY ACTIONS IN COMBAT. DO THESE GUYS WANT ANOTHER DEAD COMBAT VET?

Full Edit

Quick Edit

Posts in this topic

The VA's tenuously legal "stay" on the HAAS ruling PROVES there is a bias, I just think the VA is equally biased, they hate us all the same. (Sorry... I'm joking ok?)... I do think the Haas stay is just bull, but there ya go. It the same as them not admitting tha AO was stored, sprayed and transshipped from Guam with all the shipping documents in front of the and the EPA's testing of the ground water for dioxin and agent white etc. for YEARS... but have you seen a blanket declaration for Guam? Nope and will you with an active installation still there? Nope.... not gonna happen.... individual cases may and have won, but if the individual cases can win doesnt that prove the claim?..... nope not according to the VA. Tis is policy folks and your local BA guy aint got diddly to do with it ... ask Berta who sets policy for the VA... and then you'll know who to point a finger at.. I dont want to say, but it not Joe rater who just feeding his kids, and doing the best he can and keep his job at the same time.... nope hes not the one...

So Berta, tell us oh wise ang knowing one (really you are the bomb at this level as I have stated before)who sets policy for the VA?.... wheres the smoking gun?

I'm being a bit silly here but Verta IS the subject matter expert when it comes to this as far as I am concerned.... so I'd like her opinion...

Then if we may, lets get back to helping this veteran... cause while this point is valid and should be made, its gonna move off topic and I dont want to forget the veteran, as I have been basley and falsley accused of... liable I say, never once, well maybe once, but no more than that.... veteran who?.... hehe....

Bob Smith

Sixthsense-

glad you are here- I was struck by what you said:

"Today, I was told very impersonally that I wont be walking a year from now..."

I don't know what your medical condition is and what 'medical rationale' they used to say that but I was told in 1992 my husband would "never" walk again-and after a major battle with VA -

to get him rehab services-in a few weeks he could take 3 steps-so they sent him home and he came up with his own therapy ideas and began walking fairly normally again for the two years before he died.

Have faith Sixthsense- there might not be any real basis for what this doctor said.I dont know. I just feel 'impersonal' medical statements like this are more detrimental to veterans than the disabilities they have. And maybe a way for them to avoid considering more aggressive medical care.

Regarding this combat vet-you guys are right- it is not a CUE situation at all but he needs a good vet rep to help him.

It would help a lot if we could see a scan of the actual denial as to the way it is worded.

If you can scan it for us veteran- cover the personal info and c file-

Something is drastically wrong here-

I swear I believe the VA causes PTSD or at least makes it worse when they send out decisions like this.

Did you get a VCAA letter veteran-what did that tell you to get for the claim?

Sixthsense- I will digest all of your statements-and reply- but one thing is for sure-

On the AO issue-The Secretary could change those regs in a heartbeat-

for ALL vets who have AO disabilities. It is BS to have stays on future claims.

Nicholson could cut through the BS in seconds like Principi did with diabetes regs-

I asked Nicholson to do just that as soon as he got his new desk at the VA.I presented many good reasons to support my point..

He sent my letter instead to my VARO-it had NOTHING to do with my claim. It then held up my claim for months in their congressional reply

office until I formally asked them to disregard it and not reply to him at all.

TOO many AO vets are dying waiting for our leadership at the VA to remove their digits from their rectums.

ALL of the CAVC , Stay, Haas etc rhetoric from VA is only part of the continous paper war of words-that this new member here is experiencing-

as an individual claimant yet at some point- it is just all words and paper generated at the highest levels too-

All quaranteed to add time to the whole intricate legal process that VA hides behind in an effort to save money. Your money- the money they OWE you all due to your sacrifice.

Not to mention the affect to all the young people today who might be willing to serve.

George Washington said it all:

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."

WHen I read those powerful words I think of how the morale of men and women in harms way today must be compromised by the news they get from the US of A as to the fiascos that the VA has suffered this past year-data theft etc. and then they read how their comrades were being treated at Walter Reed.

In my Task force letter -it was quite long- but the first statement and the picture of Rod was an attention getter-I identified many problems at VA and then gave 4 solutions.One of those solutions was to make sure that newly discharged veterans take full advantage of all of the veterans web sites that can help them address compensation issues, GI Bill issues,

unit sites for buddy statements,PTSD sites, and to use the VA web site itself as they might have to become fully aware of the countless regulations and medical criteria that VA uses to control their eventual compensation claims.I also mentioned that they need good information when discharged as to how to seek a vet rep to help with those claims.

And then I asked for oversight of ALL vet orgs chartered by Congress, like AL, DAV as well as the Gov should take jusrisdiction over state and county vet orgs too so that every veteran can go into a reps office and file a claim and have a fully qualified rep advise them as to what they need to support the claim.

The legal VCAA letter (I griped a lot about that fiasco) is what the rep and the vet needs--- to know what evidence the VA wants.

The VA is making sure veterans disability claims do not have a chance by their chronic failure to send legal VCAA letters- prior to the first denial as within the VCA Act itself-without electice Notice and it is these two critical documents that determine if the claim will fail and become apart of the unconscionable BVA backlog.

sorry for long post----------even forgot the question--------

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Although it is hard to prove I think that the VA is afraid that any concession made to help Veterans opens the doors to millions of claims.

Most of the advances made that is helpful to Vets did not come easy or the VA pushing for it.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Honestly Pete, I dont think its hard to prove, look at Guam and the af bases here in the uS. The AO crap didnt just magically appear in Vietnam, nor was it magically held in place against the wind patterns...

I think the whole AO Guam and Haas are just the VA's way of stalling an dhoping for someone to quit... THEY KNOW, they freakin know the federal government has been testing the water on Guam for over 25 years... yet they only look at individual claims? Big money, thats what were talking REALLY big money, and Congress at the heads at the VA are all marching in step... if it makes a good show about how much they care and is cheap, they are on it like honey, but if it costs... well as soon as they can away it goes.... if it ever gets to bat..

I'm gonna shut up cause I'm losing my bearing on this topic, but the sailor needs some solid help he is being rolled big time. As normal... (sigh)... PTSD is certainly the VA's new "be careful" issue...

Bob Smith

Bob Smith