Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Got A Call From Doctor's Office

Rate this question

huskerfanfl

Question

I just got a call from my doctor's office. Over the past seven years he has treated me for hypertension, frequesnt nighttime urination, GERD, and have complained to him about lack of sleep on many occasions. He says that my sleep apnea is due to my weight gain since I retired (primarily in the last year) and will not write a letter. All those things he has been treating me for are signs of sleep apnea. I have to go seem him for another matter Monday and am going to have a talk with him personally.

Tim

Vet and proud of it

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Try being nice. Most doc's think they are God anyway.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

I suppose the next best thing to do is to get a copy of your records from the doctor, showing the diagnosis and treatments.

I just got a call from my doctor's office. Over the past seven years he has treated me for hypertension, frequesnt nighttime urination, GERD, and have complained to him about lack of sleep on many occasions. He says that my sleep apnea is due to my weight gain since I retired (primarily in the last year) and will not write a letter. All those things he has been treating me for are signs of sleep apnea. I have to go seem him for another matter Monday and am going to have a talk with him personally.

huskerfanfl,

If talking to him nicely doesnt work and he wont give you anything, try going to another doctor, like a general doctor. It took me several doctors before they figured out what I had and before any of them would write a letter for me.

Good luck to you

Have a great day!!!

tdak

"Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. "...Ronald Reagan

Can weight gain actually cause sleep apnea? Or are the symptoms worse with increased weight?

We had a huge problem trying to get a doctor to write a letter for my husband for his cancer. Though they all TOLD him that he had to have had the cancer for YEARS (based on the type it was -- and the growth rates) -- it was impossible to get one of them to actually write a letter to that effect to the VA.

His doctor said the VA would use their own doctors -- and make their won decisions anyway.

But my husband DID write a letter that at least said that my husband was under treatment for cancer and that the AVERAGE doubling time of that type of cancer was 180 days -- and took it to the doctor - and the doctor signed it.

Not the strongest letter he could hae gotten - but at tleast it was something...

Free

Think Outside the Box!

• HadIt.com Elder

There are 2 types of sleep apnea. Obesity is one of the main causes for Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Sleep apnea is a ratable disease but you need to watch out for the secondary conditions that sleep apnea can lead to. Hypertension is one as well as pulmonary hypertension, heart arrythmias, I just had surgury yesterday to rebuild my nasal passages. Doc said there were several cysts with scar tissue that had been in there for years. It will not cure the apnea but will allow me ot tolerate the auto pap machine.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.