Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why Offer Voc Rehab/education For 100% P&t

Rate this question

HolliGreen

Question

Hi, voc rehab/higher education seems to be a contradiction (if a vet is 100% P&T why is voc rehab even offered?) Plus, what is the situation with the education? I no longer work, disability retired, 100% P&T (asthma and multiple sclerosis), however, earning a Masters degree (I have my B.A.)from online AMU is of interest. Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated. Thanks, H.G

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Holli, a 100 percent schedular P@T vet can still seek employment and is considered to have a serious employment handicap. Unemployability disqualifies a Vet from Voc Rehab.

John

Hi Holli,

I am not a pro at this at all, but it seems to me that if you are P&T and you go back to school, even online, it may show the VA that you are able to do work of sorts, which may affect your P&T. Again, I am not a pro and I am not sure but me, I wouldn't, I would be afraid that I would lose what I already had.

Good luck to you,

Tamara

Hi, voc rehab/higher education seems to be a contradiction (if a vet is 100% P&T why is voc rehab even offered?) Plus, what is the situation with the education? I no longer work, disability retired, 100% P&T (asthma and multiple sclerosis), however, earning a Masters degree (I have my B.A.)from online AMU is of interest. Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated. Thanks, H.G

• HadIt.com Elder

Going to school is not employment and the VA and Social Security usually endorse it by paying extra for a disabled person to do it. For the most part there needs to be at least the idea that the person can do it and that it will lead to employment and off disability.

From personal experience Voc Rehab is very frustrating for a 100% Veteran.

Going to school is not employment and the VA and Social Security usually endorse it by paying extra for a disabled person to do it. For the most part there needs to be at least the idea that the person can do it and that it will lead to employment and off disability.

From personal experience Voc Rehab is very frustrating for a 100% Veteran.

I am 100% schedular and have been on Voc Rehab since 2004. I am down to my last three semesters and will finish at the end of this year with a BS in Criminology (I already got an AAS in Paralegal studies).

To date I've been having nothing but the best of luck with my Voc Rehab counselor who basically approves anything and everything I need. I even got an extension to finish at the end of the year because the original counselor who approved my voc rehab didn't appreciate the full details of the university requirements and what it would take time wise to complete it. In addition to that extension, the stipend was approved along with that extension.

Computers, software, you name it...I've had it all approved.

When I first started voc rehab I was at 80%, then it went to 90% and more than halfway through I got the 100% schedular rating. I was told as long as it was not P&T or IU I would be fine. Otherwise if it were P&T or IU that would be the end of Voc Rehab.

Anyhow, I know I've had great luck with my voc rehab and it pains me to read of so many other veterans having problems with theirs. I guess it all boils down to the office and the quality of person who is the voc rehab counselor (e.g. if they are there just to collect a federal paycheck or actually there to assist veterans).

GW1 Veteran

Hi, thank you all for your information about the voc rehab/education questions I had. GW1 Vet, congratulations on your ucoming graduation w/ your B.S. !!! From the info, it appears I am not eligible to earn my Masters degree via the voc rehab route as I was granted 100% P & T and my multiple sclerosis makes it impossible to ever work again, plus the asthma. At any rate, I am thankful for what the VA has awarded me in the way of PX/commisary priveleges, etc. Take care you all. Holli

Don't forget there are other issues with voc rehab than just employment. It's available to me as a 100% P&T Vet. My therapists and Doc's recomend I take a class whenever I'm able to help with my dementia/cognative dissorder due to TBI. Medical treatment and quality of life issues are considered in voc rehab.

Also, a schedualer rating means that the AVERAGE person would not be able to work with the same limitations. We are not to be punished if we are above average individuals and can overcome our limitations. We are not expected to sit at home and watch the happy people walk by. Personal improvement thru voc rehab is helpfull for this.

At least, those are my thoughts. :rolleyes:

Time