Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Why Offer Voc Rehab/education For 100% P&t

Rate this question

HolliGreen

Question

Hi, voc rehab/higher education seems to be a contradiction (if a vet is 100% P&T why is voc rehab even offered?) Plus, what is the situation with the education? I no longer work, disability retired, 100% P&T (asthma and multiple sclerosis), however, earning a Masters degree (I have my B.A.)from online AMU is of interest. Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated. Thanks, H.G

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Don't forget there are other issues with voc rehab than just employment. It's available to me as a 100% P&T Vet. My therapists and Doc's recomend I take a class whenever I'm able to help with my dementia/cognative dissorder due to TBI. Medical treatment and quality of life issues are considered in voc rehab.

Also, a schedualer rating means that the AVERAGE person would not be able to work with the same limitations. We are not to be punished if we are above average individuals and can overcome our limitations. We are not expected to sit at home and watch the happy people walk by. Personal improvement thru voc rehab is helpfull for this.

At least, those are my thoughts. :rolleyes:

Time

Hi Time, I appreciate your post. My VA neurologist has said many times, "if you don't use it, you will lose it"...meaning the brain! He is joking yet he is serious.

I guess I am confused about schedular and how that figures into the equation. I am 100% s/c P&T, disability retired from my former job due to my MS. Currently there is no cure for MS, so, all things being relative, I will not be getting any better, only worse. I totally understand your statement about not to be punished and I have to tell you, it kind of feels this way, my wonderful husband tells me the MS is not my fault and he is soooo right. In my search for info on earning a Masters degree, I feel stonewalled, especially when I attempted to get info from the local county vet rep. It feels like I am trapped in an episode of the X-Files! Any idea of how to get the ball rolling? I have paperwork but all of the questions pertain to future employment. But there will be no future employment. It's crazy. The input from folks is much appreciated but GW1's post about being 100% P&T kinda concerns me. Thank you for your post Time. Holli

Hi, voc rehab/higher education seems to be a contradiction (if a vet is 100% P&T why is voc rehab even offered?) Plus, what is the situation with the education? I no longer work, disability retired, 100% P&T (asthma and multiple sclerosis), however, earning a Masters degree (I have my B.A.)from online AMU is of interest. Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated. Thanks, H.G

Holli -I am an AMU student (American Military University) fairly soon to graduate with AA but staying on for the BA- I also have Certificate in Military studies from them ---my daughter is going to get her Masters there soon as they Intelligence program is excellent.

I hope you check them out-

I was able to tie in with Teresa who is the AMU VA counselor and she helped make my Chap 35 go smoothly- and she should have some Voc Rehab experience too-dont know -most of their students are active mil- at all levels- PFCs up to officers-

many professors are prior AMU students.

The RQ course is the only course I took with a civilian professor-

that is required and with good reason- the technical requirements of submissions are really strict.

I did a thesis for one professor-a Major -USMC- he was toughest teacher I ever had---

I stayed with him for many courses-but this thesis was so hard (on Vietnam) and I was so tired I noticed my cover page was off by one pixel-

heck he wont notice I figured- he DID- he called me up ,sort of gave me Hell---- in a funny way, and took a point off my grade ---99 instead of 100.

I was crazy about him.He was the toughest teacher I have ever had -

Professor Gundmusson USMC.

His brother is interviewed on the military channel a lot.

I cannot begin to tell you how AMU has changed my life.

The teaching is superb and I give them 150 %. I will graduate with honors soon.

His brothers book on the German Army in WWI is required course reading.

Holli -I am an AMU student (American Military University) fairly soon to graduate with AA but staying on for the BA- I also have Certificate in Military studies from them ---my daughter is going to get her Masters there soon as they Intelligence program is excellent.

I hope you check them out-

I was able to tie in with Teresa who is the AMU VA counselor and she helped make my Chap 35 go smoothly- and she should have some Voc Rehab experience too-dont know -most of their students are active mil- at all levels- PFCs up to officers-

many professors are prior AMU students.

The RQ course is the only course I took with a civilian professor-

that is required and with good reason- the technical requirements of submissions are really strict.

I did a thesis for one professor-a Major -USMC- he was toughest teacher I ever had---

I stayed with him for many courses-but this thesis was so hard (on Vietnam) and I was so tired I noticed my cover page was off by one pixel-

heck he wont notice I figured- he DID- he called me up ,sort of gave me Hell---- in a funny way, and took a point off my grade ---99 instead of 100.

I was crazy about him.He was the toughest teacher I have ever had -

Professor Gundmusson USMC.

His brother is interviewed on the military channel a lot.

I cannot begin to tell you how AMU has changed my life.

The teaching is superb and I give them 150 %. I will graduate with honors soon.

His brothers book on the German Army in WWI is required course reading.

Hello Berta, it sure is nice to hear from you! From one of your posts awhile ago I saw you mentioned AMU which prompted me to check them out. AMU sounds excellent and would work out fine since I basically stay at home. That is wonderful about your B.A. You go girl!!! :rolleyes: Interestingly enough, I spoke to Teresa last week about the Chapter 35 issue, etc. Hopefully, a voc/rehab will be approved and I can earn my masters in National Security studies. The AMU curriculum sounds challenging, which is a good thing, a good work out for the brain. Mega kudos to your daughter also. Talk to you soon. Take good care. Holli

IMO if you are 100% PT you should be in ILP and not Voc Rehab. My Voc Rehab counselor was smart enough to know when I was at the 60% level that I was really 100 PT and the raters were just F%$#@d up. I was denied voc rehab. Eventually it moved up to 80 then 90 then 100 PT. I dont know how anyone with a 100 PT could be granted voc rehab, they should be denied and put into ILP. Thats what the regs say. So it sucks, but I can still go to school using my GI Bill educational benefits. The 100 PT makes me eligible for grants from the state for school.