VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is The Difference In Service Connected And Compensation

Rate this question

Reddit

Question

I know that a person can be service connected but do not get a payable rate.

ok so once you get service connected do you then have to send information to get compensated. basically, I want to know is after you are service connected dthen you start getting the information that would give you a percentage.

So, a person don not have to worry about bein service connected anymore, just try to see if you me the critera for a percentage.

Just want to know.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA will determine a disability and based ont he severity of the disability , It determines what percentage that is payable according to the Schedule for rating disabilities.

The percentages vary from 0 percent to 100 percent.

You really need to read the home page of Hadit so you can get your feet wet.

It would be a big help to you.

J

Edited by jbasser

I will try to explain;

Non service connected is when a veteran has a disability that can not be linked to service or a service connected disability.

Service connected is when a veteran has a disability that can be linked directly to service or can be linked secondary to a service connected disability, or a disability caused by VA.

A veteran could be awarded a 0% service connection but it does not meet the criteria of being compensable (severe enough to be granted 10% or higher). The veteran must then submit evidence to get an increase in his or her rating to make it compensable.

Once a veteran is awarded 0%, this disability is considered service connected and that part of the fight is over. To get an increase the veteran must get medical evidence that this condition has gotten worst to get an increased and upgraded.

If i am off others will correct me.

Hope this helps

Edited by pacmanx1

"Once a veteran is awarded 0%, this disability is considered service connected and that part of the fight is over. To get an increase the veteran must get medical evidence that this condition has gotten worst to get an increased and upgraded."

I would just add 'service connected; to the "0" above.

I know what you mean but important to say "0" NSC and "0" SC as they are two vastly different things.

Service connected at zero percent usually means

the conditions can become worse at some point and the

claimant can file for an increase.

Also, what ever is SC'd at the zero percent the VA has to treat and medicate

with no co-pays for either.

Reddit, I see your avatar notes you are 70% disabled compensated, so do you have some non service issues you are questioning? I believe the others here have explained the in service connection and compensation topic you started. Remember also there could be secondary conditions that could be linked to a service connected claim too. If you need further assistance please post your questions.