VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I Change Va Hospitals?

Rate this question

11B1P

Question

MY FIRST TIME POSTING! I'm in NC and I'm about the same distance to Fayetteville as to Durham. Both cities have VA hospitals, but I can only go to Fayettville. I am a vietman vet, at 60 percent and I receive medical care for AO related cancer surgery. From what I've been able to research and observe, Fayetteville is poorly rated as far as its quality of healthcare. I have been told I cannot change locations. Is this true? If I can, how do I go about it? Thank you--

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I travel the country and change VA's all the time; it's an unfortunate requirement because of the compartmentalized regions.

Each time you must go thru Enrollment to get a PCP assigned and come in for an appointment.

Example: I was enrolled in Phoenix, and went to clinic in Yuma, Arizona.

Yuma falls under the Tucson VA, so I had to be enrolled by them to be seen in Yuma.

No one has ever given me grief about changing VA's; just that I have to "Enroll".

I would just go to the VA you want to be seen at and enroll.

Good luck! :smile:

Test -

I go to the SAME hospital, ask for travel, and get it. I get paid for the drive to my closest facility offering the same service, but it's at least something. I'd ask if I were you!

• HadIt.com Elder

I would change in a Heartbeat. Duram VA is associated with Duke. That means the docs and residents are some of the best.

Mapquest your address to each location and note any mileage differences.

J

I travel the country and change VA's all the time; it's an unfortunate requirement because of the compartmentalized regions.

Each time you must go thru Enrollment to get a PCP assigned and come in for an appointment.

Example: I was enrolled in Phoenix, and went to clinic in Yuma, Arizona.

Yuma falls under the Tucson VA, so I had to be enrolled by them to be seen in Yuma.

No one has ever given me grief about changing VA's; just that I have to "Enroll".

I would just go to the VA you want to be seen at and enroll.

Good luck! :smile:

Kelly,

You should not need to keep reapplying.

Tell them you want your status as this - Benefits on the Go.

http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/

Benefits on the Go

VA enrollment allows health care benefits to become portable throughout the entire VA system. Enrolled veterans who are traveling or who spend time away from their primary treatment facility may obtain care at any VA health care facility across the country without the worry of having to reapply.