VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Timeline For Claim And General Questions

Rate this question

ErinNick

Question

Hello to everyone! I am a new member, joined today, but have been reading these forums for a couple days now.

My husband is former Army and has filed for PTSD disability. After reading what issues the scorers look for in a certain percentage, I would say that he fits the 70%.

A little background on my husband: He's always had major mood swings for as long as I've known him. There have been major infidelity issues since I've met him, which come to find out, is part of the PTSD. He was diagnosed with PTSD in November of 2013 after we had a major fight over his infidelity and he almost slit his throat with a knife. Before using the knife, he made a rational decision and dropped it and walked straight to our town's police department and told them he needed to talk with someone that could help him. This turned into a stay at the VA mental hospital for a week, where he was diagnosed with PTSD. I honestly think his hygiene could use some work.. I try to work with him on this, but it doesn't seem to phase him. He doesn't shower for weeks at a time and no brushing his teeth. I'm telling this stuff about him not to bash him, but to get a general sense of his problems. When asked about his trigger, he can't pinpoint anything specific. He's served in Korea and Afghanistan.

So flash back to around a year ago when he initially filed for disability. I'm thinking, he's already been diagnosed with PTSD though the VA. This will be a breeze for him.. now after reading everyone's stories, I'm thinking it's going to be a little harder than we both imagined.

If he filed about a year ago, what is the timeline? He has yet to hear from anyone except when they told him about 2 months ago that they've collected all the necessary documents and medical records. His claim isn't showing in Ebenefits, so he really doesn't know where we stand. Can anyone with experience tell me how much longer he has to wait to get an answer? Will someone interview him at all? We are so confused by this whole process.

Make sure when he turns in his 21-0781, he gives a two month timeline of the events that happened so it can be verified. It clearly states this on the form. Many times when a veteran submits the 21-0781 for PTSD, they fail to give only two month range instead they give a year or six months as the timeline. Then we send the veteran a letter as a follow up to send the date range of two months again only to delay the claim. Once we get the two month date range along with the events that happened, a PTSD coordinator who specializes in verifying stressors will locate records in addition to units served, days of events and so on. If they are unable to verify, then it won't go further as far as PTSD, unless he has a Combat action ribbon or Purple Heart then he wouldn't need to fill the form out.......But make sure he follows what I just told you.....GOOD LUCK......

Still no C&P exam... I can't remember the exact day he applied, but I feel it's been at least a year. Should it take this long for a C&P to be scheduled?

Also, what worries me is that he clearly has PTSD, but he can't identify a stressor.. He was hospitalized at the VA in Waco, Texas for 5-6 days and when discharged was given the diagnosis of PTSD from a VA doctor. Is it possible he's blocked the stressor even out??

• HadIt.com Elder

ErinNick

All the above information is great advise!

I suggest

You need to learn what the Abbreviation's mean in VA language...some are very important! if not all of them.

Here are just a few

CIB Combat Infantry Badge

S.C. Service Connected

NOD Notice of Disagreement

IMO Independent medical Opinion/IME Independent medical Exam

C&P Compensation & Pension Exam

SMR's Service medical records

C-File Claims file (your hubby's claim file) important to remember WHATS IN IT!

SOC Statement of case

SSOC Supplemental of Statement of case

RO Regional Office

DRO Decision Review Officer

VSO Veteran service officer

VBA Veterans Board of Appeals

LOD Line of Duty.

They are a lot more but these will help you get started.

And always remember when you send anything in to the VA (Veterans Administration) Always get a return sign receipt (aka green card)

Just keep posting here on Hadit and ask your questions you will get great advise.

Ask any question you need or if your not sure what to do? just ask.

you have found one or if not the best web-site on the entire internet for VA Claims & much more

everyone is friendly and means well.

we all want the veteran to get what he deserves and all his/her benefits.

And remember as for as the time it takes to win your claim/hubby's could be any body guess...like Andyman73 mention every veteran claim is different in time wise, it can take less time or just as much or more time..we never know.

my opinion a lot of it depends on who receives your claim for processing.

IF your hubby is denied You can appeal it NOD (Notice of Disagreement)...he needs medical reports to justify his medical condition as critical & well informed evidence that it is from his past military service this has to be Service Connected...after that then you rely on medical evidence such as IMO's/IME's Independent Medical Opinion or Independent Medical Exam making sure the Dr's are well Certified/Qualified in the field of medicine you refer to.

And remember this if someone from the VA tells you something on the phone ask them to send it to you in writing...> voice by phone don't mean much.

He needs a VA diagnosis/OR From a Private Dr for his claim and it needs to be Service Connected....then your on your way to find out how well it is to be dealing with the VA.

Hope this helps you out a little Bit

And Welcome to Hadit Mam.

..............Buck

Edited by Buck52

I will try my best to help you. I was compensated in less than 90 days. Your husband needs a diagnoses of ptsd from a VA psychologist or equivalent. Does he have it?

Second is he needs his stressor documented. If he can prove he was in combat area or if he has combat ribbon thats enough. Or if an incident it is documented in his smr. It helps to have documentation of any behavior changes also. Does he have this?

Erinnick

I'm going to the MH walkin tomorrow. I received orders to report there, from a fellow Hadit Vet. So I'm finally taking that step. I'm totally freaking out about it, tho.

Semper Fi.

Andyman