VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu Pt But Working On Ss & Fers Claims

Rate this question

DocFMF

Question

Hello all and this is my first post on HADIT.COM. Please bear with me as I learn the ropes around here. My situation is a bit bass ackwards from what most of the posts I have read on this subject since my IU claim with the VA processed faster than my OPM or SS Claims.

The friday prior to Memorial Day I was informed that the VA fully developed IU claim I submitted on 01/21/2015 had veen approved at 90% but uped to IU for 100% P&T. (AMAZING TIMEFRAME YEAH) This was up from my previous combined 80% rating from when I filed. I'm a 29 year (with 10 year military buy back) WS wage grade supervisor federal employee that has been out of work on LWOP since 01/05/2015 due to my many medical and mental conditions.(Yeah all us supervisors are a little nuts) I filed for my FERS disability retirement from OPM as well as SSDI from Social Security at the same time as I filed for IU with the VA.. OPM initially denied me about 3 weeks earlier but I have an appeal in now. I just sent OPM and SS a copy of my 100% PT claim letter. Also I am 54 and cannot normally retire from civil service for another year and 1/2 due to my age. I contacted SS to request they place me on their VA IU PT 100% program to speed up things on their end. I have only one more SS C&P in early June. I suffer from a ton of conditions both VA service connected and not. My highest VA rating is 70% for PTSD

Ok with all of that said..... What importance/emphasis will OPM & SS place on my IU rating with the VA? What sort of timeframe should I expect from SS? OPM?

I hope I covered everythin. Any information / direction in this matter will help a lot.

Thanks in advance

DocFMF

You cannot be employed and get awarded IU. I tried that and got denied even though I was going to work 1 or 2 days a week and barely making income. You have to be off the books. Submit the resignation form for the IU.

I found that out in the last decision. I didn't claim that though. The VA was kind enough to let me know it was considered because they had to. I jumped the gun big time, however, I have been learning their games and tactics. More of curiosity on folks experiences though.

I applied for OPM while still employed. I also applied for IU and got denied so basically I had to quit the job (almost 20 years federal service) and submit the resignation form for IU. I also submitted leave records, a PhD psychologist opinion, and statements from a couple co-workers and project manager. They then said my SC disability was "sufficiently severe" to warrant IU. SSDI was not a problem. It all came together within 6 months, you just gotta stay on top of them all and do the leg work.

• HadIt.com Elder

Remember one thing about OPM. You do not need to be completely disabled, you just need to medically not be able to do the job you currently held. This in itself is the reason OPM has the 80% work rule, that one can still receive OPM disability and work, making up to 80% of what you did while working.

IMO, your 70% PTSD would be an automatic OPM grant, being that you were a sup........I think your OPM claim was not looked at with an open eye.

Wow good info.

I received notification today at the SS website.... SS granted my SSDI claim the first time up.... Whew... Such a releif... First VA 100% in May and now SSDI in June. The only hurdle left is OPM and they are the ones fighting me the hardest. SS & VA were a walk in the park next to OPM. Anyone have any more reccomendations?

Thanks in advance.

Doc

Also... I'd like to know if I would be due back pay or not. Does OPM pay you back to the date you stopped working or when you filed? Or do they not pay until after they make a decision like SSDI? I cant find anything on it in the OPM website.

Doc