VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Dental Eligibility For 0% Means Dental From Va

Rate this question

Navy4life

Question

The loss of teeth by themselves are not ratable since they are not truly disabling and are easily replaced by false teeth. Teeth also cannot be rated if they are lost from naturally occurring diseases related to ageing. They must be lost as a result of injury, accident, or diseases such as osteomyelitis.

If the loss of teeth is caused by part of either the maxilla or mandible missing, then it can either be rated under the following code or under the codes for the missing maxilla or mandible, whichever code provides the higher rating. If not enough of the mandible or maxilla is missing to qualify for a rating under their codes, then the condition is simply rated here. The condition cannot be rated twice, once for the maxilla or mandible and once for the teeth. Only one or the other.mouth%206.png

Code 9913: Regardless of how many teeth are missing, if they can be replaced by a prosthesis or false teeth, then it is rated 0%. If, however, they cannot be replaced, they are rated as follows:

All teeth missing is rated 40%. The loss of all the upper teeth or all the lower teeth is rated 30%. If all the upper and lower posterior teeth or all the upper and lower anterior teeth are missing, it is rated 20%. If only all the upper anterior teeth or all the lower anterior teeth are missing, it is rated 10%. If all the upper and lower teeth on one side are missing, then it is also rated 10%.

After reading the above I think I am going to be 0% S/C for my Mouth Condition claim secondary to my Anorexia Nervosa. I sure hope so b/c I just found out that if I am even 0% S/C for dental I am eligible for dental at my local VA.

I found this:

Dental Benefits for Veterans Dental benefits are provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) according to law. In some instances, VA is authorized to provide extensive dental care, while in other cases treatment may be limited. This Fact Sheet describes dental eligibility criteria and contains information to assist Veterans in understanding their eligibility for VA dental care. Outpatient Dental Program The eligibility for outpatient dental care is not the same as for most other VA medical benefits and is categorized into classes. If you are eligible for VA dental care under Class I, IIA, IIC, or IV you are eligible for any necessary dental care to maintain or restore oral health and masticatory function, including repeat care. Other classes have time and/or service limitations.

Have a service-connected compensable dental disability or condition. Any needed dental care Class I (This would be me if I get the above 0%)

Are a former prisoner of war. Any needed dental care. Class IIC

Have service-connected disabilities rated 100% disabling, or are unemployable and paid at the 100% rate due to serviceconnected conditions. Any needed dental care. [Please note: Veterans paid at the 100% rate based on a temporary rating, such as extended hospitalization for a serviceconnected disability, convalescence or pre-stabilization are not eligible for comprehensive outpatient dental services based on this temporary rating]. Class IV

Apply for dental care within 180 days of discharge or release (under conditions other than dishonorable) from a period of active duty of 90 days or more during the Persian Gulf War era. One-time dental care if your DD214 certificate of discharge does not indicate that a complete dental examination and all appropriate dental treatment had been rendered prior to discharge.* Class II

Come on 0% S/C for my teeth!!!!!

http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/publications/IB10-442_dental_benefits_for_veterans_2_14.pdf

Check out class IV there are a lot of cases where a veteran is rated 100% TDIU and given a re-evaluation date and VA dental clinic looks at this as a temporary rating and refuse the veteran care until s/he becomes P & T or 100% scheduler.

Any needed dental care. [Please note: Veterans paid at the 100% rate based on a temporary rating, such as extended hospitalization for a service-connected disability, convalescence or pre-stabilization are not eligible for comprehensive outpatient dental services based on this temporary rating].

• HadIt.com Elder

I think if you take your IU AWARD letter to the Dentist clinic they will set you up appointment once your in you be fine.

The only thing Iam not sure of is the TDIU without P&T. VS  WITH P&T

If your Temp IU The according to what  pete992 put up (Regs) you can't get free dental...but you can usually pay at the VA a lot cheaper than going to a private Dentist.

jmo

............Buck

I was denied S/C for my damaged teeth secondary to my eating disorder.  It was a tough battle but I really thought I had a chance to get it.  Dental S/C is really tough unless you are 100% s/c for dental.  I was told that I could go to Baylor school dentistry for cheaper dental work but since it was my two front teeth, I was not chancing it to students.  I out of pocket $4,500 due to my eating disorder and my poor choices for allowing this to happen...

Dental care to treat the oral conditions that are determined by a VA dental professional to have a direct and material detrimental effect to your service connected medical condition.

Navy4life and others, look at Class III.  After my Voc Rehab ended my VA dentist told me he could no longer treat me. At that time I was about 70% and I showed this to him and told him that I should still qualify for dental care due to my service connected acid reflux and constant vomiting. He agreed after he reviewed this regulation and got approval and kept me in the system until I reached 100% scheduler P & T.

• HadIt.com Elder
21 minutes ago, pete992 said:

Dental care to treat the oral conditions that are determined by a VA dental professional to have a direct and material detrimental effect to your service connected medical condition.

Navy4life and others, look at Class III.  After my Voc Rehab ended my VA dentist told me he could no longer treat me. At that time I was about 70% and I showed this to him and told him that I should still qualify for dental care due to my service connected acid reflux and constant vomiting. He agreed after he reviewed this regulation and got approval and kept me in the system until I reached 100% scheduler P & T.

pete992  what VAMC Dentist YOU GO TO?

Navy4life could certainly ask about this!

jmo

...............Buck

Buck, I go to the Nashville, TN. VAMC.  The dentist name was Yacko but this was years ago and I don't see him anymore.  I have a new dentist now.  Keep in mind that I got in the system because I was in Voc Rehab but that ended and I still needed care.  I honest believe that they have wiggle run to help a veteran if they choose to.