Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Give Me Strength Folks

Rate this question

Mikemmlj

Question

I am currently inpatient at a VA Hospital PTSD/SUD program. A VSO has advised me to pick up my treatment records and review them. I have done this before and it's a major trigger for me, I hate to read them . I just need you guys to tell me the reasons why I should read these reports and give me the courage to grit my teeth and do it!

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think that you have to read them especially since you are 100%. If you are happy with your rating than don't read them.

• Founder

If you are 100% and not filing any other claims I don't see a reason for it. If you are filing a claim and going through the records is necessary, which I'm not sure it is, then perhaps talk to your therapist and do it together.

I do try to avoid things for me that cause stress. So, it looks like you have 2 choices:

1. Read them. You can talk to your counselor and ask him to help you work through it.

2. Dont read them. Its the way lots of people deal with problems, is by ignoring the 1500 pound elephant in the room. That does not work well for me, but I recognize that you do not want to wake up EVERY sleeping dog.

I kinda view it a little like a water baloon. You can pump water in the baloon and have a good time throwing them at people in good fun. However, if you fill it with too much water, it will surely burst and get water all over you.

If your problems are like the water in the baloon, you want to deal with at least some of them. If you deal with "0" problems and try to supress them all, you can be a ticking time bomb.

If you try to deal with too many, you can "pop" the baloon.

I heard a great suggestion on finances, and it sort of applies here. They suggest you write down every nickel you spend for a week.

Then look at how you spent your money, and make categories:

Morning coffee...1.50 per day

Net flix movies..3.00 per day

...etc, etc.

After you complie the list, then choose just 2 or 3 of these things that you are willing to give up. If you are willing to give up netflix but not coffee, thats fine. You can save $3 per day or more than 1000 per year.

This applies to your things you dont want to talk about. Make a list of them. Then talk about 2 of those that you didnt want to talk about.

Edited by broncovet