VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I can't breathe....

Rate this topic

brokensoldier244th

Heh. Ive already got more weight than I want. Ive got my road bike that I don't ride outside very much anymore up on a roller trainer so I can still 'ride' a bit. That helps. I need to replace my xbox 360 next with one that isn't dying and then I can try out my Nike trainer game with our kinect. 

Miami this weekend- part of me hopes there are not fights again, but damn it was fun to watch them clearing the field last year. Some cheap shots were had by all. 

Thanks. Parts of it feel like a win, parts don't *shrug*

Related question- if I am asked if I am retired, like, medically, the correct answer is NO, right? The 'retired' rating designation is specific to the service that you were in and can only be applied by them? Im just 'rated' or whatever I want to call it. I ask mainly for the benefit of telling inlaws, many of whom are not military and would have difficulty (and have over the years) understanding my 'status' with VA and working on and off. "Are you....ok?" is one I get a lot, and/or "Are you working? No? What's wrong?" etc. Without having to go into it all what suggestions might you all have, other than telling them to GTH which is not really an option? 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

For quite a while now, you have been in "fight the VA mode". You've been through the ringer with tests, exams, and waiting for what typically is another flawed or substandard response from the VA. I think the parts of it that don't feel like a win is due to realizing that this long fight is actually over. After having your guard up for so long, changing to relief mode may not feel normal, but it is.

I think that "retired" is a perspective. If you will never go back to work, yeah, you're retired. Being 100% P&T nets you an ID card, but it will have a different color from officially retired service members. I'm not sure if officially medically retired service members get one or what it might look like.

When people ask about my military ID and if I am retired, I tell them no, but explain that I'm a 100% totally disabled veteran. That usually results in a smile, handshake, or verbal thanks for my service. In some cases, businesses or services may only offer services or discounts for retired military. I ask if they honor ID holders who are 100% totally disabled veterans. If they do, I thank them. If they don't, I respect that.

Congratulations!  I have a military I.D. because I was medically retired from the service. If I was not retired then I would respond like Vync did.

Good perspective. I don't live near a base with MWR services so I may not get the ID card, though if I travel with my familiy it might be handy. 

thanks for the thoughts- that helps a lot to put into perspective. I woke up this AM and for the first time in a long time didn't feel like a failure for sucking at my job (on a low day) as an IT engineer for healthcare facilities, or for not having a job at all, now. Not quite Mr. Roger's up in here, but close. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use