VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Epidural

Rate this topic

I have had three.....going back in a little while for more. The three I have had they numb the area, the first two were done with no problems. The last one was done with a guy who was new at it.....he bent two needles and it really hurt, I almost vomitted. The next ones I am going for the Doc said he will be doing sitting up......that will be different.....It depends on a lot of stuff. How much pain tolerance do you have? How much experience the Doc has, etc.

Good Luck....if you want more of my experiences pm me your number.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:o I am shedule to get a L5-S1 epidural steroid injection. Anyone out there has ever taken one? How was it, did it hurt, how long does the shot takes?

babyray

With cervical and lumbar problems, I've had around 20 or so steroid injections. I try not to keep a count anymore. I know that a good Dr. should do everything reasonable conservatively speaking to hopefully avoid putting a knife to your back, but I do think, due to my experiences, that the shots are used as a formality, thus helping pay the country club dues. I have had one session that I was fully awake and did not even know she had started the shot. I knew it the next day though. Ive had a couple that were a little painful but nothing compared to the pain I was already having from my disc. It does make a difference in who or how experienced the person is. Ask your refering Dr. who he would go to if it was him getting the shot. The whole process is about an hour, the actual shot is usually less than 5 minutes.

Hope this helps,

Blackbird

• 2 weeks later...
I have had three.....going back in a little while for more. The three I have had they numb the area, the first two were done with no problems. The last one was done with a guy who was new at it.....he bent two needles and it really hurt, I almost vomitted. The next ones I am going for the Doc said he will be doing sitting up......that will be different.....It depends on a lot of stuff. How much pain tolerance do you have? How much experience the Doc has, etc.

Good Luck....if you want more of my experiences pm me your number.

My doctor is reccomending this epidural for me also and I am wondering if your doctors started you off with any pain meds first. My doctor has mentioned nothing about pain medication just straight to the epidural steroids. This seems odd to me. Any thoughts on this anyone?

My doctor is reccomending this epidural for me also and I am wondering if your doctors started you off with any pain meds first. My doctor has mentioned nothing about pain medication just straight to the epidural steroids. This seems odd to me. Any thoughts on this anyone?

I was schedule for one tuesday but cancelled it at the last minute. Reasons, I read on line that if you have heart disease, don't take it. So, I call my heart doc & left a message. If he says it's ok I will want them to give me a sedative or I will not take it. The pamlet they gave me said that they only numb the area.

babyray B)

Edited by babyray

I have had both the series of epidurals(3) and a second series of (3) facet blocs. The doc numbed the outer skin area before using the larger needles. He did it under fluoroscope to proper position the needle. A little uncomfortable but not too bad. However, the shots were of little benefit to relieve the pain of my L5-S1. My younger sister had an epidural two months ago and it really helped her for about 5-weeks.